Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

Pics
No, when I researched it that's all it said. The laying pellets and veggie scraps from the garden is enough nutrition most of the time. They also like bird seed. But I heard at BYC not to give it to often.

It's hard to know exactly what the best diet is for backyard chickens. I've had different breeds and in research found that certain breeds require (or have different background origins) and need certain diets. Reading nutrition articles just confuses the issue of just what and when the right amount of protein should be offered. With my chickens, what they require depends on whether they are laying, molting, brooding, weather conditions, or if they're ill. Some owners with different ages of chicks/chickens and roosters will feed an All Flock feed with free-will oyster shell for laying hens while other owners find individual feeds or fermenting for just their laying hens, etc. After all these years I've stopped confusing myself with facts and give my girls what works best for them and me.

I've been backyard chickeneering almost 7 years and put out all kinds of chicken feeds, cooked meats/seafood, and produce to make sure my girls find the nutrition their body craves. I offer Scratch & Peck brand organic non-processed/ unpressed layer feed with loose meal/vitamin powder additives, high protein turkey grower crumbles, manufactured pressed layer pellets, organic Scratch and Peck brand wheat/barley/rye scratch, free-will oystershell and/or calcium carbonate, organic cooked brown rice and I add Bee Pollen, Selenium Powder, Brewer's Yeast, and Rooster Booster Multi-Wormer to it, dry rolled whole oats, non-GMO canned corn, raw shelled sunflower seed kernels (my DH break off the pointy sharp ends of EACH kernel LOL!), plus a variety of cooked meats, veggies from our garden, non-citrus fruits, and a good bird seed mix without hard corn in it when we can find it. Plus the girls free-range for insects and weeds. Seems a bit fussy to do this but we're zoned for only 5 hens/no roos so it's a bit easy for us.

Another thing we found is that each chicken will have a different favorite food -- one will adore cukes, another loves cantaloupe, another grapes or raisins, etc etc.

In spite of all this variety, a chicken at the end of her laying cycle might still produce for us a softshell egg as her last egg.

We have only had three "mutant" eggs so far, though there's still quite a bit of variation in the size of the eggs. Pics of two are below (my daughter gave away the third to her biology teacher - looked like two eggs had fused together.) One had a really white shell with signs of shell deficiency. The other didn't fill properly - there was a huge space between the shell and the outer membrane. For that one, the shell was completely fragile.

They went on the compost pile. Not worth the risk of bacterial contamination.
weird_egg_01a.JPG
weird_egg_02.JPG

We have only had three "mutant" eggs so far, though there's still quite a bit of variation in the size of the eggs. Pics of two are below (my daughter gave away the third to her biology teacher - looked like two eggs had fused together.) One had a really white shell with signs of shell deficiency. The other didn't fill properly - there was a huge space between the shell and the outer membrane. For that one, the shell was completely fragile.

They went on the compost pile. Not worth the risk of bacterial contamination.View attachment 1146834 View attachment 1146835

Just a thought -- Can you be certain that you don't have an egg-eater in the flock? If you get too many eggs with broken shells it might be a layer that's developed a taste for eggs. She probably can never be broken of the habit and will teach the other hens to eat eggs too.

Nope, the holes in the brittle egg were caused by our fingers when we collected it. It looked normal in the nesting box, but felt "weird" when my kids picked it up.

Soft or thin shells panic me because they break so easy and I worry a hen will eat it and get a taste for eating eggs. We check the egg box a few times a day to make sure there are no broken ones. Our Ameraucana was a klutzy egg layer and would poke a hole or crack her egg with her toenail in a hasty hurry out of the nest -- she couldn't get out of the nest box fast enough -- needless to say she was not one of our best egg layers but was a very sweet bird otherwise.

I got this monster today from one of my egger's. The smaller egg is what they normally lay.

Attachments

• 1007171409.jpg
    1007171409.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 9
I got this monster today from one of my egger's. The smaller egg is what they normally lay.

Ouch! Oddball eggs in my group always worries me since we had to put down our sweet 6-yr-old Silkie this August because of a bleeding ovarian tumor. For years I read about others having reproductive issues and when it happened to me I was devastated. Now my last surviving old Silkie has dry pox and I was getting prepared to put her down at the vet's. But he sent me home with antibiotic ointment and said to give her Tylan for a week and bring her back. He's been my chicken vet for years and didn't seem worried but I can't stand to see those crusty bumps around her little face. She can't see well and misses aiming at her feed. We have her in the "hospital" pen indoors to recuperate. Hope she recovers well.
DSCN8383.JPG
DSCN8387.JPG

I currently have 2 RIR and 3 Barred Rocks. Someone is laying eggs that have "invisible" speckles on them. The egg looks normal when I first take it out of the nest, but if I run water on it (to get poop or something off), bunches of darker speckles appear. And they will scrape off with a fingernail. Everyone seems healthy and thriving - about 4 or 5 days a week, I get eggs from all five chickens. I'm pretty new at this, and I have no idea what this could be, other than some abnormality in the shell. Any ideas? Thanks!

I currently have 2 RIR and 3 Barred Rocks. Someone is laying eggs that have "invisible" speckles on them. The egg looks normal when I first take it out of the nest, but if I run water on it (to get poop or something off), bunches of darker speckles appear. And they will scrape off with a fingernail. Everyone seems healthy and thriving - about 4 or 5 days a week, I get eggs from all five chickens. I'm pretty new at this, and I have no idea what this could be, other than some abnormality in the shell. Any ideas? Thanks!
Totally normal. I have one Dominique that lays an egg like that, though sometimes the spots are on the surface.

I haven't had anything too crazy, but my Silver Wyandotte and my Golden Wyandotte both have the habit of laying some speckled eggs from time to time.
View attachment 1138235 View attachment 1138236

I've also had my fair share of double yolkers, mostly from my White Leghorn and my Easter Egger:
View attachment 1138237 View attachment 1138238

And my Leghorn laid this whopper recently. I haven't cracked it open yet but I'm going to go ahead and place my money on another double yolker. Both eggs were laid by the same hen a day apart.
View attachment 1138239
How does this occur?

Back
Top Bottom