Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

Pics
I haven't had anything too crazy, but my Silver Wyandotte and my Golden Wyandotte both have the habit of laying some speckled eggs from time to time.
View attachment 1138235 View attachment 1138236

I've also had my fair share of double yolkers, mostly from my White Leghorn and my Easter Egger:
View attachment 1138237 View attachment 1138238

And my Leghorn laid this whopper recently. I haven't cracked it open yet but I'm going to go ahead and place my money on another double yolker. Both eggs were laid by the same hen a day apart.
View attachment 1138239
Your eggs look great. I recently had a unique egg.

Attachments

• PXL_20210602_111600062.jpg
    PXL_20210602_111600062.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210602_111553406.jpg
    PXL_20210602_111553406.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 2
Been pretty lucky in that respect, since I've had chickens I've only ever gotten one or two double yokers (it's been about a year and a half or two I'd say).

But just yesterday I noticed that one of my hens had a prolapsed oviduct, it returned to normal all by itself, but I will be watching her, because she has been laying rather large eggs for her size with a bit of blood smear. Most of the hens I have were first timers so I hope they don't have problems further on.

I was told if you put out the oyster shell into a separate container the ones who need it should eat it and the others won't, supposedly they know what it's for. I put out crushed egg shells (from my chickens, not store bought) in a separate dish for them. My girls eat it, but the cockerels don't. It's weird how excited they get about it too.
Lol, my dumbass roo eats the crushed shells along with his girls😂

I have never seen a shellless egg and really I am not looking forward to running in to one. As it is I have never retrieved an egg from under a hen (seems so invasive, LOL) and I would be nervous to stick my hand under her (I've got lots to learn). But then to run into a shell less egg. At the point that I touch it isn't that a mess in the making?

Been pretty lucky in that respect, since I've had chickens I've only ever gotten one or two double yokers (it's been about a year and a half or two I'd say).

But just yesterday I noticed that one of my hens had a prolapsed oviduct, it returned to normal all by itself, but I will be watching her, because she has been laying rather large eggs for her size with a bit of blood smear. Most of the hens I have were first timers so I hope they don't have problems further on.
Awwww, how is she now?

Anyone here ever get an egg with another complete egg (shell and all) inside it? I so wish I had taken a picture ( or even better a video) of the time I got one!
Once...weirdest thing I've ever seen happen. It was an egg with 2 shells basically...a double hull! 😆

Got a "water balloon" egg one time during winter. Still no idea who laid that one. A transparent shell! I should've gotten the photo Before I tried to pick it up & the fragile "balloon" tore...but yeah, it was like a balloon.

Get a few double yolkers per year, one time a giant triple yolker, compliments of my 1 big butt Maran.

Mostly, my girl's eggs are perfect, though. I do not consider occasional speckles a flaw, on the contrary, the more varied & colorful the eggs are when a customer opens the lid, the better. I try to put all 7 different colors in each dozen. That's actually one of the reasons my eggs sell out 1st at the local market. 👍 20220224_152209.jpg
20211013_151218.jpg
20210605_205905.jpg
20220109_104856.jpg

Last edited:
Some of my eggs have been very wierd. I have found just the shell without the yolk(they ate it). Tiny little eggs. Alot of double yolkers and wierd patterened eggs. Odd shaped eggs and recently they have had blood on the outside iy only has happened 3 times from 2 different chickens is something wrong.

Associated question: why are my very fresh hard boiled eggs so hard to peel? What should I be doing to majke them easy-peel the next day?
That's the way super fresh eggs are, for hard boiling, I keep some for about a week. For the 4th of July, I set aside 2 dozen eggs. MMmmm deviled eggs....and super eggy potato salad!

Back
Top Bottom