Topic of the week - Winter Chicken Keeping

I run no heat for my girls. I do have a heated water base. My coup is build inside my barn so it adds extra protection from the elements. I enclosed the outside run for the winter with tarps. It will be done better in the spring with a roof and windows to let in the winter sun to warm the outside run. I let my girls out every morning, they come and go as they please. They are currently walking around in the snow right now( not deep snow) but they are still walking around in it.

I know quite a few people say they do not need heat lamps but in Alaska… they do. I set one out for them when it’s around 20 or below, I set that and a heat mat once it gets below zero(it’s been -11 to 30 these past few weeks), it’s especially cold here BECAUSE we do not have as much sunlight in the winter, we have around 7 hours of between sunrise to set but most of the time it’s too cloudy to actually have sun, I’ve had too many frostbitten chickens going with the “no lamp” technique…

To prevent frostbite I make sure they have constant access to water and food along with bedding and heat sources. I save their mealworm boxes for winter around their bedtime.

My girls don’t have a run, they’re free range. The coop is shielded by trees and the house, wind doesn’t get too terribly bad… most of the time, last year we had a very destructive windstorm that actually killed my dog (too much stress) tore down sheds, small buildings and even KFC. And that’s why Alaska has a lot of square buildings with no roofs. The coop didn’t have a scratch. Not sure that’s relavent to the question though 😂
They have ventilation at the top of the coop, the water will freeze often even with heaters so I make sure to switch the ice with water frequently but we have a base heater and heat lamp to help it, my new girls seem to have found out they can break the ice… my rabbit probably helped.

I go out and get the eggs at the times of days that they lay… if they end up freezing I give them to the dogs to eat.

They’re always “confined to the coop” over winter(they refuse to leave, I even made them a trail from the coop to barn but they refuse to leave) but I give them toys, mirror, xylophones and treat balls, they also like to play with Yves my rabbit who comes and goes from the coop

View attachment 2911870

There are so many aspects to consider when it comes to winter chicken keeping and so many things we can do to make sure our flocks are safe, comfortable, and happy. This week I would like to hear your tips, thoughts, and suggestions on all things winter chicken keeping. For example:

- Do adult birds need additional heat (heaters, heat lamps) or not, and if so, when? I.e. when is it TOO cold?
- How do you prevent frostbite on your birds' combs and feet?
- How to best kit out the coop (and run) for winter - ventilation, insulation, moisture management, etc.
- How to keep their water from freezing.
- How to keep their eggs from freezing.
- Keeping the flock happy and amused when they are confined to the coop by heavy snow, storms, etc.

Anything else you'd like to add.

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Just wanted to say that rooster is quite handsome! Nice color contrast. I have one that was mostly red, he'd just turned 2 yrs old & had his Sept molt...his feathers are now black on his chest, like this Roo. Basically from the throat on down his neck & down his entire chest & tummy, he is all black now! Striking & handsome boys.

I run heat in my Coop all winter....It is never that warm inside....The last reading yesterday was 3 Celsius....Outside with windchill it was -8 Celsius.....It keeps my water from freezing...I use sand in my Coop to eliminate most of the moisture....I always open the pop door in the winter so they can get outside to the run if they choose to?
I free range on good days...Meaning no wind....If it is snowing out, they still free range daily.....I toss a flake of Alfalfa hay for them to peck through...I add some scratch to it and they get busy searching.......I never change feed when its cold out.....I put up construction grade plastic to the run to block out the wind and snow....only on one or two sides...

It really all depends on a persons location and your personal preference on how you manage your flock....

Cheers!
I have to keep mine in the barn again this winter. It’s a good barn, with insulation and metal siding. That makes a good element protection. It’s not deep winter yet at 10-15° in northern SD, the barn stays a balmy 20°. Most the chickens are cold weather breeds. I blocked off a stall and put up a low watt red light for some fall scraggly girls molting and bantam breeds—Barbu d’Ucclé, & Silkie—AND a broody hen hatched a chick, so they were in there too. The Silkies DO like going outside, especially my one oldest Roo, he stays out almost all day scratching around 547EFAC9-EF0A-43DD-8483-0F5BA79F2010.jpeg A8F4056E-2C97-466D-91AE-F521541CEEF3.jpeg . 4934C04A-1AA0-4DBE-A69F-CB9671E657E9.jpeg 0175054E-6DE9-4AF2-A0CA-AE0F2C659D6C.jpeg 07B4F738-29A7-442A-9284-30B5D9E16C75.jpeg 9A29F6E2-7455-4F9C-9E02-05DD87233A81.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom