topping off a big run what to use?

j&j happychicks

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
I have 2 runs approx 25 x25 no trees and need to put a top on them so I can keep all safe. Whats the best thing to use?

I used a larger chickenwire. I suppose you could use that. I know they have plastic netting if you want to go that route. Mine is to keep my girls in and hawks out. Good luck just thought I would.share what I used.

my duck and chicken runs are 12 x 24.

For my duck pen, I took PVC pipe that I connected at the top with the elbow and then threaded the PVC in through the dog kennel wire. I have a white tarp over the duck house and feed side and bird netting over the rest because ducks don't mind the Pacific NW rain and wet.

I did the same over the chicken run but used a huge tarp that I cut to fit and ziptied. With the arch, the water just runs off and the run is staying nice and dry.

If your run is tall enough and the fence strong enough to support it, put chicken wire or - better yet, but expensive - hardware cloth.

My run fence is supported by metal T-posts, so I use bird netting across the run. It comes in 14 feet wide rolls 25 or 75 feet long. I drape it across the run, zip tying it to the top of the wire fencing and each swatch across the length of the run.

It will certainly keep your chickens in. Once my big rooster was startled whilst on the outside of the run (they free range, now) and he flap-flew up over the fence and onto the bird netting. And bounced three times before his feet got tangled in the netting. I had to cut him out of it. (Then I zip-tied the tear back together.)

So I think bird netting is strong enough to at least deter aerial attacks, if not stop them.

Oh, a 75 foot roll of bird netting is only $19.95 at Lowe's.

Thanks I was thinking netting to but worry the hawks will cut there way in, the fence sure sounds safer.

I don't know if your run would support them but I used cattle panels. This is the best picture I have right now but you can see the panels on the top.

37917_cotton_trailer2.jpg

Since my birds are locked up at night, I use bird netting. Keeps them in and hawks out. Sides are tall enough to avoid suburban issues with dogs and cats visiting. Chose galvanized/welded rabbit wire for the sides. Basically heavy duty on the sides for 6ft then "flimsy" up top. If a hawk crashes into the bird netting, I'll have to get gloves and untangle it. But it was like $30 for the 7x100 ft roll, so I'm doing support beams every 6 ft to attach it to. That way if part of it gets damaged or something, I don't need to redo the hole thing, just a 6x10 section. Easy application.

Would be worthless keeping coons out at night though, which is why I lock them up. So far none of made an attempt. My old coop at my dad's house had the same thing, and a snake got caught up in it. So it was snake proof I guess from the looks of the snake.

Back
Top Bottom