Topsy turvey tomato planters for cover?

Henry&Friends

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
West Virginia (mountain momma)
heres something I just thought of...

for a covered run, hang some topsy turvery tomato planters on top. Preferably with plants Already growing out of them. Once the plants get so large, you can weave the branches/vines together to create a roof of leafy cover. Tomatoes stay out of the chickens reach, and provide cover from hawks, owls or other predators. You can let some plants grow indefinitely down as designated chicken plants (my whole garden became designated chicken plants last year, when the chickens broke in and ate everything)

has anyone tried this, or anything similar? Grape vines seem like they’d also make some good cover...

There are a number of fast growing vines and common plants used on arbors. Those would all do well (cross reference any toxicity issues) but be sure they are not invasive species.
I once did an arbor training golden raintree over it. When it bloomed it was breathtaking.

If you have a covered run they don't need 'cover' from hawks. ;)

I think you're misreading the OP. Sounds like you think s/he is stating that the run is covered before the planters are hung. But as I read it, "For a covered run . . ." is another way to say, "To create a covered run . . ."

Plants vining across top would work great for shade, but don't see how that would stop rain. Also realistically, this would be difficult to pull off with a larger run due to the spans and the weight of the plants. And tomatoes for some of us grow for what, 3 months? A lot of work to have a few months of shade (that also attracts fruit flies).

I do let peas trellis up the back of my run and slightly over the top (where it clings to the netting), it provides a little shade in early summer and the chickens are very happy to snack on pea leaves.

Back
Top Bottom