Torpedo egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmwright, Aug 3, 2011.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    My hens JUST started laying. Like 4 days ago. My daughter picked this one up this morning right after our brown sexlink hen laid it. It's next to a large egg from the store. It's so long! I've never seen one this long before.

[​IMG]

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

My first double yolk egg looked like that. It's pretty big for a pullet egg, so It will probably be a double yolk egg.

3. kmwright

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Oh that would make sense, thanks for the tip! Once I crack it open for breakfast I'll let you know if that's what it was. [​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I got a torpedo egg this morning too! Except its not big, its an itty bitty thing [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a pullet bullet. [​IMG] Congrats!

6. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I usually get one like that from my girl Sun (unsure of what she is, a friend told me she is a black sex link)

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have 2 barred rocks that started with long thin eggs like that and gradually got fatter over the next couple of months but were always that long

8. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    My Red Sex-link seriously lays the biggest eggs AND at least 1 double yolker a WEEK!!!! She is petite and super healthy, but I thought we were lucky when her 1st egg was a double yolker, nope, ONE a week!!! It's crazy! Here she is the week she started laying, just 4 weeks ago!
    [​IMG]

9. kmwright

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Ok so I that was definetely a super grande egg, but I cracked a few open today for dinner and there were 3 double yolkers (including torpedo egg). So either my other hen is also laying double yolkers, or it's just this hen and today she laid a huge one.....

Either way, it was really cool to crack 3 eggs and get 7 yolks!!

10. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    WooHoo!! You got a girl like mine! [​IMG] SUPER EGGS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by