Torticollosis as a result of head trauma

SteviesBirds

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
Hey y’all. I’m posting this here instead of in the guinea forum because I don’t think species is really relevant in this situation. My Guinea cock got spurred in the eye today, the poor guy was walking past two of my chook cocks while they were fighting and it was literally just bad luck. He screeched and started to flop around and alarm call, twisting his head upside down. I’ve got him wrapped up inside a cat box padded with towels and he’s settled down but is still twisted up. He must have got a pretty bad knock to the head but I don’t think the spur actually entered any part of his anatomy aside from perhaps the top of his eyeball down through the lid. I stopped the bleeding too.

I’ve treated deficient wryneck before but never wryneck due to head trauma. Does anyone have any tips? Presumably the vit e cures the deficiency rather than specifically the wryneck symptom? so aside from keeping him cool so as not to worsen any swelling on the brain and assist feeding him, is there anything I can do? I have Metacam but i don’t want to treat him with oral fluids right now as I’m worried he’ll aspirate. I’ll obviously give an antibiotic if the wound shows any signs of infection too. Thanks in advance everyone:) x

Back
Top Bottom