Total Hip Replacement for "younger" active folks?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by booker81, Jan 19, 2012.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Figured with all the peeps here, some of you might have some stories for me :)

DH has been troubled with hip and knee pain for a few years now, and I gave up long ago about bugging him to get to the doctor. I've had my share of joint issues, and had four surgeries from 07/01 through 02/11 for full reconstruction of one knee, and need to get in for a reconstruction of the other. My Dad finally bullied DH to get to the doc and find out what surgery he'd need (he did PT years ago, they said he'd need surgery), by telling him that they (my mom and dad) will pay us the amount extra that's not covered when DH would be off on short term disability.

The hard part is DH's job - it's not office work, and it's pretty specialized. He's been doing it for 20 years now, and there isn't much else he would do (plus doesn't have the education - GED only - to do anything else for the pay). He's a line clearance tree trimmer for Detroit Edison - he climbs and cuts trees by the power lines. He mainly does climbing work (with the spurs and ropes and saddle), and he likes his work. The pay and benefits are very good. He's also very good at his job.

DH is only 38, and found today that he needs to have a total hip replacement. Looking at his xrays, he REALLY needs it. He'll be meeting with that surgeon on March 1st (he went to my knee surgeon who said he thinks most of the problem with his knee is because of his hip). I'm trying to look up recovery stories of folks who've done THR and are active - found some good ones of rock climbers, so I guess that's close to what he does. He's a bit worried because he's not "old" like he thinks of people who get joint replacements :)

Anyone have words of wisdom, stories, tips? He's obviously very fit, no health issues other than this. Big thing I'm interested in is recovery time and the like. He'll have his climbing gear to practice with before he goes back, but not sure how long it will take for him to be able to get back to his job.

Here's his xray:
    [​IMG]

And here's what he does:
    [​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    been there twice on both hips- once in 1983, both hips, again in 2002, both hips- the technology is very advanced now and very strong- here is a site which helped me- some younger folks on there too http://totallyhip1.tripod.com/ the big thing will be listen to the surgeons advice- on range of motion and infection- depending on the extent of the replacement there may be some restrictions - hard jarring twisting activities weren't advised - but again if he has a high impact job its possible for them to use a type of hip that can withstand heavier use- hope that helps

3. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I'm 36, and had both hips replaced last year. One in June of 2011, and the other just one month ago. Surprisingly, I found the recovery to be quite quick and easy. Used a walker for about the first week, then a cane for another 1 1/2 weeks. Physical therapy started on day 2 after the surgery and usually lasts for about 6 weeks after surgery, depending on progress. Unfortunately, your hubby's line of work may put his new joint at risk. For up to 6 weeks one of the main hip precautions is not pulling your legs up past a 90 degree angle. Usually by 6 weeks, the muscles have had a change to fuse, and that precaution is usually lifted. However, climbing can put his joint in a compromising position. If the joint is pressed too hard this way, it can pop out of the socket. Not a fun thing to have happen. I was in your hubby's situation. I was born with hip displaysia, and put off having surgery for years. It affected not only my knees, but my back, as well as my whole pelvic bone area. Everything hurt. The hips stabilize your legs, so when they are out of whack, everything is. I was left with no cartilage in the right hip, and minimal in the left. I can say that although my legs are weak from not using them properly for so long, the actual pain is much better. I would have your husband not only discuss his concerns with his surgeon, but also with his physical therapist. I have found that some of the surgeons can be very text book about what hip replacement patients should and shouldn't do. However, I think that PTs are a little more realistic, and know that people have to live lives. A concern I have for your hubby, is that if a fall were to happen, his hip obviously would be much more likely to break, or get severely messed up. There are options of stainless steel, ceramic (which is what I have), and another I can't think of. I do alot of things I probably shouldn't, but I listen to my body, and if I'm concerned about a position, like squatting, I ease into it. And absolutely no piviting. If he follows all the precautions while healing, this will help prevent any premature dislocations. I think that it would be possible for him to resume to his job, he just might have to tweak the way he dose some stuff. I've wanted a horse for 30 years. My plan was to get one in a few years, when we move to a better property. My surgeon wasn't too sure it would be the best thing, since just riding a horse puts your legs in a squatting position, that thrusts your legs and hips up and down. I was a bummed. Then, talking to the PTs assistant, she gave me options about riding horses. Which horses ride smoother, what kind of saddles to sit in. So don't think that your husband getting his hip replaced is meaning he will need to find another line of work. Just means he may have to do it a little differently. I hope your husbands surgery goes well, and he has a speedy recovery! Good luck to the both of you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by