total newb here...

jtakacs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
I have a small elevated coop and a run that is not closed in at the top.

Stupid questions;

1) if I clip a wing, can I not worry about the 6' high fence that surrounds them? Not many predators out here, very suburban.if they leap a fence there are dogs everywhere.

2) I plan on leaving the coop open during the day. Do I need a roost in the run?

3) I don't plan on putting food/water in the coop at all. Stupid? They'll be let out at dawn and put back in at dusk. I also don't have room.

4) the coop was designed with hardware mesh as the floor with limited "walking around" space. The assumption is they'll just sleep and roost in it while I only have to clean the ground beneath the coop... wrong?

Tia... great site, been a lurker for a while but I pick up my girls on Saturday and am slightly freaking out..

Cover the run with deer netting or something comparable, my food and water is out in the run and it works for me, a roost in the run might give them a little more entertainment during the day to climb up on and pass time.

1. Yes you should worry they can still flap
2.cats careful of them, and not outside you will not but YES!!! INSIDE FOR SURE!!
3.yes Stupid ( in your words) they will take breaks inside and eat breakfast lunch and dinner in the coop.
4. Rain,snow,wind, They will want more than that so right and wrong
Hope this helps

Here is my advice:

1. No need to clip and that often does not do the trick. Not sure what breeds you have but heavy breeds will be fine and stay inside. Our birds are not clipped and they stay inside a 4' high perimeter free range fence. We have a variety of heavy breed chickens.

2. You don't need a roost in the run but they are nice to have. I would add a sloped roof or at least some type of mesh/netting over top of the run. A roof will add shade and keep some rain/snow out of the run.

3. You don't need water in the coop but it is nice to have. The birds will appreciate access to water 24/7. It is pretty easy to add a hanging water dispenser in the corner of the coop. My coop(s) are large and I have several and heated dispensers for the Winter.

4. I am not a fan of wire mesh floors. Often time the poop does not fall through so that will need frequent cleaning. Add a solid plywood floor with ample bedding on top. It sounds like you have a pretty small coop. Try to allow 4sf of space per bird in the coop and 10sf per bird in the run.

Hope this helps!

Thanks all... they have exactly 4sf in the coop and about 60 sf each in the run... it is a small coop but Im only getting 4... two are gifts so I don't know the breeds yet.

Back
Top Bottom