Total newbie needs feeding advice.

:frow Hi there! Welcome to BYC! I hope you get your questions answered! There is so much to learn here and I wish you all the best with your new chickens!

Hi! Just letting you and everyone else know that we got FOUR rescued girls. My daughter has some first pictures which I'll attempt to share with you all. They have a lovely warm shed with access to a small run at present. The run will be made larger when they are all settled.

They have done very well. They love being outside. It's cold and wet so we have a cover over the run and they appear to be really happy and curious. They are eating and drinking well and someone is laying eggs. About that...will these eggs be ok to eat? I just know they have had wormers etc and being a newbie, I don't know if we have to wait a while. There are 5 eggs already.

I appreciate everyone's input and hope that this reply posted here, will be OK for all interested parties and helpers to see....Thankyou everyone....Alison.

Do you mean pictures of the chickens when they come? I shall be collecting them on Wednesday afternoon. I'm getting quite excited!

Hi! Just letting you and everyone else know that we got FOUR rescued girls. My daughter has some first pictures which I'll attempt to share with you all. They are beautiful girls. I think they are moulting. They have no throat feathers and a little one has a bald head. I am keeping an eye out that she isn't bullied. They have a lovely warm shed with access to a small run at present. The run will be made larger when they are all settled.

They have done very well. They love being outside. It's cold and wet so we have a cover over the run and they appear to be really happy and curious. They are eating and drinking well and someone is laying eggs. About that...will these eggs be ok to eat? I just know they have had wormers etc and being a newbie, I don't know if we have to wait a while. There are 5 eggs already.

I appreciate everyone's input and hope that this reply posted here, will be OK for all interested parties and helpers to see....Thankyou everyone....Alison. PS I'll need son or daughter to put the pictures up for me. I'll not forget.

Kitchen scraps are a bit hard in the UK. It is actually illegal to feed livestock kitchen waste and you can face up to two years if caught doing so. I do give my chickens scraps of meat and veg occasionally but the rest goes in the compost.
I had seen that somewhere. No insult to the wonderful people, but yeh.... As my chickens will assault me for a watermelon rind.

Last edited:
Ground up dry cat food makes a healthy treat as it typically has 30% protein and many of the same amino acids (even though the percentages aren't high enough for chickens). Feeding one tinned sardine (or tuna) with the oil (or water), either alone or mixed with whatever new feed you're looking to move them into will provide high protein, high omega3's and amino acids, and if you serve it with the oil, will give them some much needed extra calories to recover from their 'just enough to keep them laying' rations from their previous life. You can also drizzle some unsweetened yogurt over the feed that you're moving them into to promote good crop and gut health (lots of probiotics), but use yogurt sparingly as chickens don't digest it well, and too much will give them the 'runs'.

Hi! Just letting you and everyone else know that we got FOUR rescued girls. My daughter has some first pictures which I'll attempt to share with you all. They have a lovely warm shed with access to a small run at present. The run will be made larger when they are all settled.

I appreciate everyone's input and hope that this reply posted here, will be OK for all interested parties and helpers to see....Thankyou everyone....Alison.
Oh I can't wait!!! :D

Yes we'd love to see your new chickens! It's so much fun! Do keep us posted on your new adventure!
First outing.jpg

Attachments

• happy chooks.jpg
    happy chooks.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 5
I don't know what I'm doing but I hope you can all see 2 pictures! I had a wee sick hen. Thankfully all is now well. I don't know if you're supposed to put the full pic up or just the thumb nail. ....Alison.

Back
Top Bottom