Total newbie!!

Barrettsmimi

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
Marlette, MI
Hi all. I am new to BYC and chickens, thinking of ordering some chicks to be delivered end of Feb. I live in the thumb of MI. Wondering if anyone has any advice, cost cutting, breeds, anything? Thank you in advance

Welcome to BYC. Go to the Social forum and click on 'Where am I? Where are you!' - locate the Mi thread and see what your neighbors recommend. Good luck in establishing your flock.

Looking for the best egg layers. Hoping to get around 15-20 chicks. We don't have a coop as of yet, I was hoping that if I get the chicks the end of Feb, it will give the husband time to build one. Only thing is, we won't be able to prevent any predators as I'm not sure if the ground will be thawed enough to bury some hardware cloth...been trying to find an alternative. I'd like them to free range.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If sheer egg production is your goal, the very best layers are White Leghorns for white eggs, and Sex Links (which come in two basic varieties, Black and Red, with a lot of different labels) for brown eggs. Both White Leghorns and Sex Links are the hens typically used by laying houses for egg production as they are egg laying machines. If you are free ranging your birds, Sex Links (especially the Black Sex Links) will blend into the terrain better than White Leghorns will. Also, Sex Links are friendlier and calmer than White Leghorns, which are high strung and flighty. My White Leghorns screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them. Sex Links are also more cold hardy than White Leghorns. Based on my experience, Black Sex Links seem to be especially persistent layers in really cold winter temperatures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom