Totally Confused...him or her???

The typical sex linked production hybrid is on the small side, has an excellent feed to egg conversion rate. B/C the birds are on the small side, the cockerels do not produce a nice sized carcass for the table, and do not have an efficient feed to meat conversion rate. Supposedly, the LB was bred to produce cockerels which grow out faster, to a larger size, with a more thrifty feed conversion rate. All speculation at my end, only repeating what I read on one google search.

The birds in the photos are all red sex links hybrids. If all your chickens look like these then you do not have any Rhode Island Reds. As such there should be pretty much 100% certainty that you have all pullets..... as others have said, with this hybrid, there is a notable colour difference between male and female chicks at hatch so pretty much anyone can tell which ones are female.
With many of these sex linked chicks the males are immediately ground up to make pet food or garden fertilizer because they will grow up to be scrawny and not worth raising for meat but if @lazy gardener is correct, the Lohmann has been bred to increase the carcass size of the males so that it may be worth raising them for meat rather than culling them as day old chicks. Ethically, I think this is a laudable goal by the hatchery. Most people are horrified that hundreds of thousands of day old chicks are ground up almost the moment they hatch, just so that people can buy cheap eggs.

For your information Rhode Island Red chickens are a rich dark mahogany colour often with black tips to their tails and not orange/brown and white like these birds.

You do have one chick that can see at the back of one of the photos that has a significant amount of white on it. I can't see it clearly, but that is the only one that could possible be a cockerel, but it is more likely just a very light coloured female.

Hi my sincere apologies. I didn't take pic's of the RiR. I need assistance to catch n Pic them, I will then upload and post them for your assistance in identifying their gender. Pls stay tuned...

Many thanks
Puk...

Hi my sincere apologies. I didn't take pic's of the RiR. I need assistance to catch n Pic them, I will then upload and post them for your assistance in identifying their gender. Pls stay tuned...

Many thanks
Puk...
Gender ID photos work best if you don't handle or chase them. The stress can cause combs to flush and photograph more red then they usually are.

Back
Top Bottom