totally shocking to me

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mikensara, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    we have neighbors who I just shake my head in disgust at. my oldest babysits the kids and they are well provided for clean clothing, food. They recently got a puppy its a very small little tiny thing and I am concerned for the puppy. I went down at 10 pm last night to pick up my daughter and I am thinking weird I know they leave the little critter out loose and I dont hear any barking. I looked for him after I asked my daughter where the puppy was and she said oh hes around I saw him earlier. I went outside and looked for him and no trace. I asked the mom about him and she was nonchalant when i said they should do something for him. Tie him up, get a kennel, put him in a crate when your not home and watching him. She made it clear she could care less her hub bought it home and hes away in the guard and she doesnt want him. I thought about puppy napping him and rehoming him but her hub will just get another one and so on and on it will continue. The poor thing is gonna get smooshed in the road. I told their land lord I know they arent supposed to have dogs and they know they got another one after they made them get rid of the two they had confined to the garage that barked non stop because they had complaints from people that lived nearby that heard the dogs and threatened to call animal control if they didnt do something about the tenents dogs.

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    call animal control on them. It surely isn't licensed, and sometimes people decide that having a dog isnt worth the fines.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you feel the dog is neglected or abused, report it to the proper authorities. If they are simply making different choices than you would (which is what it sounds like), MYOB. This is their dog, not yours, and if they choose to not crate it, that is their choice. Very often on this forum, people complain about nosy neighbors who tell them how to run their lives, and what they can and cannot, or should and should not do on their own property; do you want to be one of those?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with Sonoran Silkies. If the dog is neglected or abused report it to the proper authorities, and if they get another report them again until they learn.

5. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Sound like the dog is running loose. If that is the case and/or it is being neglected call the proper authorities. If the dog is not contained in some way (chain, fence) it is a danger to itself and others. It could be hit by a car or cause an accident.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:letting the dog run loose may or may not be a crime. Here, we have no leash law. So, unless the dog attacks someone or kills livestock, then there is no complaint to make. If the dog is killing livestock, then the only recourse legally is to shoot the dog.

Standards for care are actually quite minimal. A place to get in out of the sun/rain. Water available (it doesn't even have to be clean fresh water!!) Dog needs to be fed.
    If the dog is loose, then they can say "oh he goes under the porch" or even under the car. Very sad, but those are the facts.

7. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:letting the dog run loose may or may not be a crime. Here, we have no leash law. So, unless the dog attacks someone or kills livestock, then there is no complaint to make. If the dog is killing livestock, then the only recourse legally is to shoot the dog.

Standards for care are actually quite minimal. A place to get in out of the sun/rain. Water available (it doesn't even have to be clean fresh water!!) Dog needs to be fed.
    If the dog is loose, then they can say "oh he goes under the porch" or even under the car. Very sad, but those are the facts.

It varies from state to state and even county to county. Most places have leash laws and license laws too. Some places you can't leave a dog tied up outside all day, others you can. I don't know where the OP is and what the laws are there, I was just giving suggestions.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It's also possible that there is an underground fence that the OP is unaware of. I know many who consider routinely tying a dog up to be cruel. They usually believe that dogs should spend much of their time indoors, and what is outdoors should be loose in a yard or being walked on a leash.

9. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    that's so sad. i would definitely call the animal control. they have the authority to search the home and ensure the care for the puppy!

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

And there are some that believe a dog spending the majority of their time indoors and/or tied up is basically the same thing and that they should be on a containment system outdoors that allows some freedom of movement and a more natural environment and habitat.

Unless you know for a fact this puppy is suffering in some way, now would be a good time to mind your own affairs. How would you like it if your neighbors were watching your every move and just waiting to report you to child welfare for how they perceive you are treating your children? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by