Totes for baby chick housing

I made a brooder from a 4x8ish inflatable ring pool. I put cardboard around the inside, TALL boxes to help keep them in and a draft out. The heat lamps were at either end suspended from the ceiling. They had plenty of room, and the smell wasn't too bad. The giant tote brooders lasted like 2 days for us. I ordered 20 chicks, and ended up with 23 (THREE EXTRAS! YAY!). I've also seen brooders made from the hard sided kiddie pools, and that would work too, if you get the bigger one.

Last edited:
Try to understand electricity. It's not dangerous unless you're trying to draw too many watts through an extension cord not made to handle that load, and the cord can overheat and break, causing sparks as it trips your breaker in your junction box. So if you are very concerned about sending too many watts down a power cord, you use an appliance that draws minimal watts, such as a heating pad. Two heating pads rigged into MHP cave will keep all your chicks warm and toasty without any danger of fire. A heat lamp is far more dangerous since it draws lots of watts, heats up the power cord, and creates a fire hazard not even related to the amperage issue. It would be a danger in your house, too.

Have you read my article yet? It will answer a lot of questions.

We have decided to build an extra large brooder to house the chicks until they can be outside.

We have decided to build an extra large brooder to house the chicks until they can be outside.

Good! I have a 8 foot by 4 foot box with three foot sides, looks like a hot tub! We lined it with glued down linoleum. Use window screens to keep them in ...

Good idea I love mine , also i put a broom handle across it and hung feeders on it.

26 chicks that went out to the coop at 6 weeks, and were outside daily in a temporary movable fence.

[/IMG]

My brooder in the right corner,but by 8 weeks they needed more room so we cut the room in half laid linoleum over the carpet and away they went!!hiding under the brooder is fun though!!!

Last edited:

My brooder made from old paneling from my daughters basement!! Notice the nice legs, my husbands a leg man
1f648.png

Back
Top Bottom