TOTW Problems?

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Is anyone having problems with TOTW High Prairie or Pacific Stream canine formulas? I've been feeding it for 3 months+ and like the results. Last night one of my dogs appeared depressed and refused to eat. Tonight 6 out of 15 had diminished appetites and one refused to eat. I'm uncertain about the cause of my problem. It may only be coincidental to opening a new batch of feed in that the dog who would not eat last night ate some tonight. Stools appear normal for the most part. These are mature dogs that have been field trialed up and down the Eastern seaboard so they have probably been exposed to and developed titers to just about everything. I'm leaning toward exposure to some sort of a short term off the wall viral thing that affects the digestive system. They are not febrile nor are they vomiting- not SICK, sick but not quite right. Any ideas?

Well, it turns out that both Redhen and I purchased our TOTW from Tractor Supply. She discarded her bags so we were unable to compare production codes. Since we are both on the East coast there is a possibility we got feed from the same lot. If things are not improved tomorrow, I'll be tossing a bunch of TOTW. Edited to add: Just did a search on TOTW to see if there were any recalls. Did everyone know that TOTW was manufactured by Diamond?

Last edited:
Just completed morning chores (have the frozen hands to prove this), and everything seems OK. The affected dogs passed some mucousy, loose stools but otherwise are alert and acting normally. I'm fairly convinced that this was related to some short term infectious GI problem. I had a fleeting similar problem 5 or 6 years ago. Vet said it was most likely some obscure undefined virus. This makes me happy because I really like the results I have achieved feeding TOTW. Redhen, hope all is going well with your dogs. Sourland George.

Brindlebtch, not jumping to any conclusions here. I've had animals entirely too long to be that foolish.
lol.png
I was simply trying to resolve a problem, and that included analysis of all possible causes.

Redhen, check the production codes on your bags. Here are mine: High Prairie TDH1101C22XRN, Pacific Stream TDP1001C21XAG. Hopefully it's not the feed. I would prefer some fleeting gastrointestinal problem. Our house dog a golden retriever is refusing the High Plains Praire diet and picking out and eating the salmon?

It is sort of scary when you consider the problems associated with the Diamond recall. The dog that did not feel well last night was acting normal tonight and ate about half of his food. The dog that is down tonight is kenneled next to him. They are two of the four that competed at our state championship last weekend and may have picked something up there. These are the sort of dogs who usually have exceptional appetites so when they don't eat well I become concerned. It seems to be affecting the dogs at different times so I am hoping that it is some sort of a GI bug. Hopefully things will be getting back to normal tomorrow and I will not have to toss out a bunch of dog food. $$$$$$$

Not implying Diamond or Proctor and Gamble do it themselves but it is sometimes purchased by the larger pet food companies as it is cheap protein. Rendering companies mix "unnamed" animal by-products and protein and sell to the food companies as it is cheap. This is why you should always buy pet foods with specific proteins such as chicken, beef, lamb, etc. and no by products. There are some by-products that are better than others but you don't know which is in the food you buy.

I just want to know where all the ingredients come from and if any preservatives are used (preferrably none as most are toxic) and it to be made in a clean, private plant. I am also assured a good quality product since it is rated human grade and the great majority of pet foods are not human grade. The fact it is sustainable is a nice bonus. You can't even get that at McDonalds!

Sorry you are having these troubles and hope the dogs are back to feeling right as rain soon.

Jax refuses to eat TOTW and we have tried every formula of it available to us.

UUh ohh.. My dogs both are on TOTW high prairie and the salmon one (mixed together)..
And they BOTH arent eating good for the last 3 days...
New bags too..

They usually gobble up all this brand feed but lately they have been leaving most it it untouched.
I just thought they were being picky..(they did that every once in a while on their other food i had them on, Purina One)..
but now that you say that same thing....
Great..
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom