Touchy situation

he will never learn. They are hard headed with a huge prey drive. Like trying to teach a bird to not fly. Ain't gonna happen. On a leash or in his pen, period. That is what I would do. You WILL lose chickens if you try to make a trustworthy dog out of him.

I kinda see that. This dog can really move for a little feller. Very agressive & really hard headed. He didn't even react to my yelling when he was after the bird. I had to pull him off & I think he would have gone right back in if I hadn't taken him inside the house. Too bad he chases chickens because he would be great for mice & such. I guess thats what he's bred to do.

Last edited:
Yorkies, like all Terriers, were bred to hunt and kill vermin all on their own. As in, go down the hole where the rat (or whatever) lived, and fight and kill it. Without necessarily getting any help from a human. When a dog breed has been bred for that, then being stubborn, hard to convince, and downright mean is part of the job description!
wink.png
(Dachshunds were bred to go down badger holes and kill badgers. Explains alot about Dachsies
lol.png
) They tend to be diggers too. Especially when they're bored or otherwise not supervised.

They're supposed to be "scrappy". Some people apparently like that in a dog
roll.png
They're "yappy" so that if a human is helping the human can find them underground, dig them up, and help.

That being said, if this was a dog forum and someone came on here saying "my family died and my brother wants me to get rid of the dog" how do you suppose people would react? For that matter...if she was the chicken person and you had the dog...would you be telling her to get rid of the chickens?

when they show terriers, part of the routine is to let two of them face each other and show their toughness, try to get at each other in a carefully controlled manner that is not vicious, but looks like the dog has confidence and is ready to scrap at any time with any size dog. It is encouraged in show lines and you can only guess what happens in pet lines. That dog, even if he weighs two pounds will do some quick damage and not listen at all. Don't blame the dog, just know it and tie him up, hold the leash or contain him. She can get used to the routine and so can he.

Hardheaded, yes; untrainable, no. Work gradually with the dog ON A LEASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES they have strong prey drive, but so do a lot of dogs. YES they can move quickly and dispatch their victim in one bite without a sound. YES they do not know their size.....

#1 should be housebreaking. Dogs need to know that YOU are in charge, what you say is the LAW. Pack leader and all that jazz. When outside doing business, keep dog on leash and TREAT when he does what he should. Keep him away from the chickens at this point. Terriers are pretty smart so he should catch on pretty quick. I would start crating him at night and taking him out at 2-4 hour intervals, and about 20 min after eating. It will make your life easier once he is housebroken..........................

Good luck, the only other advice I can tell you is all of you should go to some grief counseling sessions and watch some Dog Whisperer shows.

hugs.gif

Nope, haven't met a Yorkie yet who was 100% housebroken. The world is their toilet
barnie.gif
Perhaps your sister living with you isn't in all of your best interests. You say she is immature, well enabling her is not going to help that. I've been there and done that, sigh..... With the risk of coming off as being a meany
frow.gif
how about her moving into her own small place that would allow her dog and monitoring her? You'll find it much easier than the arguements you'll be having with your wife (trust me).
If you can't do this, please make sure you carve out time for just you and the wife.
Slinky

Quote:
I have a 2 y.o. German Shepherd that I raised from a pup with chickens & he doesen't bother them. The Yorkie is 4 or 5 years old & I don't know if he will be able to be trained or not. I got on him pretty hard when he cornered one in the barn & was able to intervene in time to save the bird. Maybe he will learn to leave them alone.

I guess I should have mentioned, I have had Jake for 4 1/2 years. When we first picked him up, my vet said he was 4/6 years old! The vet also said that Jake was a Wire Haired Toy Fox Terrier. I know terriers have a bad reputation for killing animals, and Jake does kill varmits. He just doesn't go after my chickens. He doesn't go in the run with me anymore, not because of him hurting them, but my three of my roos are all taller than him and I am afraid they will attack him! I still hope for the best for your family! Theresa
smile.png

I used to take in abandoned dogs that would be dumped out on the country roads in my area. One dog (Buster) was a chicken chaser/killer. I cured him pronto by using a little tough love. This may sound mean, but keep in mind it was to allow him to have freedom to run free and live in peace for the rest of his life and never have to be in a home that would throw him out on a road like garbage to die.

I muzzled him, tied him to the corner of the coop with a 2 foot leash, which gave him just enough leash to sit and lay down but not really move. I left him there for 2 days, which allowed the chickens to walk up to him, peck around him and peck him without allowing him to respond. During this time I spent lots of time with him. I petted him and talked to him while they were around. I rewarded him with affection/treats when he would look at them and not make any agressive gestures. I also scolded/disciplined him if he tried to dive at them or growled at them. When I unleashed/unmuzzled him, he was fine and never paid them any attention. Your dog needs to be taught that the birds are his pack. It'll take a little time and perserverance but I'm betting you can do it. He'll be happy, your sister will be glad you did this and you'll be glad as well. I'm guessing your birds will be the happiest of all. I'm sorry for the loss from the accident.

LOl Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

I'd put up a run right by the door you let the dog out of. before I fenced my front yard in, I had a run on each side of my front door for 2 house dogs that had GO AWAY AND DESTROY problems. Just takes a little work, no more just opening the door and letting the dog out.

Back
Top Bottom