Tough decision...Updated!!

Birdlover is right! Make sure the holes are small enough that a nasty racoon can't get their mean little paws in there.

I've lost chicks that were in a 1" wide holes dog crate. I bring everybody into the garage since then. And made sure the holes were smaller.

So glad to hear about Milton's new digs. Love to see a pic of her once she gets her feathers back.
smile.png

Chicken wire won't stop the buggars! I've lost chicks to raccoons reaching through chicken wire. :mad: Just to be sure the others don't get up before you and start picking on her, I'd use a pet carrier with the door shut in the coop instead of a nest box. That way you can sleep easy knowing she's safe and sound. Bless you for helping her!

If you get a little rubbermaid type container, try turning it on it's side so that it has a roof. Shavings probably wouldn't stay inside though so you may have to use some other kind of bedding material.

Can you put her crate coop inside of the other chickens' run? That way, she's still with them but will be protected from them. ?

Well its been about a week since I put Milton into her new "room." Things are pretty good now. Shes actually beginning to grow some feathers on her back, which is a first since Ive gotten her. Also, shes starting to act like a normal chicken...clucking and acting happy as opposed to scared to death. A lot of the nervous tic in her head is gone except when shes trying to see out of her one "good" eye.

She was starting to favor one foot, I think from walking on the grate of the dog crate so I took advise from earlier in the post and cut two shingles to size and put them on the floor of the crate. She's still sleeping on the floor of the crate as opposed to the box but it doesnt matter since we cover her for the night and its pretty cozy without any wind.

I also added a sheet of plexyglass on the roof to keep rain and dampness out.

I think the other girls are getting jealous.

I love your story. Please keep us updated on Miltons progress. I eagerly await for info on her progress.
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

One common behavior with chickens is to beat up the little guy, the sick bird, the different colored bird, or anything that makes them different from the majority. I've had birds that I removed until they healed, or got much larger and then they are accepted by the flock. Removing the bird until they improve is the smartest practice.

Well its been a while so here is an update. Milton is doing MUCH MUCH better. She has all her feathers, for the first time ever since Ive gotten her. She has put on some weight and is pretty much acting like a normal chicken. Id love to put her back with the others but Im nervous. I might give it a week or two more and when Im out by the coop put her in and see how it goes. So far none of the others are picking on eachother.

She's so much happier but at the same time looks lonely. If I put her in and it doesnt work then I see building another coop and run...perhaps a mini out of pallets.

Anyways, I will take some pics of her when I get a minute.

Oh I am glad Milton is doing so well. If need be, you could get one very docile breed and put with Milton and build a small coop and run for the two of them....

Faverolles are very docile and my cochins are real sweeties too. A little silkie would be good also.

Just a thought. Hope everything continues to go well.

Back
Top Bottom