Tough decision...Updated!!

The crate is one of those very big wire ones that you put your dog in when people come to the house or you go out, not a dog house. Thats why Im thinking to take a rubbermaid container and cut a hole in the side, fill that with shavings and have that be the hen house.

I've used those rubbermaid tubs for nest boxes and the hens loved them. I think that would be an excellent idea. Perhaps you could put a tarp or something like that over the pen at night to protect her from the elements. It broke my heart when I read your description of how she cowers in the corner. Poor little thing. I hope you can get her situated tomorrow! The sooner the better!!!

Good idea with the tarp too. I think Im going to do the rubbermaid idea with a tarp for the nights. Its still not down to freezing here and this is more of a temporary fix till I have time to work something out. Perhaps a down and dirty tractor for the winter.

Im going to get the crate tonight and put it together so that I can put her in it first thing in the am before work.

Quote:
clap.gif
I use roof shingles in the bottom of my cages when used to house chickens. Then I add some shavings. Those metal bottoms are VERY slippery. Does a great job of keeping their toenails filed down too.

Okay...picked up the dog crate and she will go into that first thing tomorrow with water, pellets and corn.

The crate is only 2x3 so its a bit small. I still have to figure out something for her to sleep in at night that doesnt take up all the room.

Almost anything can go into the bottom. A piece of cardboard with some pine shavings. I saw a thread on using dishpans with some carpet in the bottom, some with pine shavings and some with hay for nest boxs.

Last edited:
Alright! Milton is in her new digs and while its a little tight its better than getting beat up on. Two things I have to work on is the sleeping quarters and the flooring. The dog crate has wide spaced wiring across the bottom. I might use the shingle with shavings idea to help out her feet. As for sleeping, Im using an empty kitty litter pail with the flip up part of the lid cut off leaving the little lip. I think Im just going to cover the crate with a tarp at night to shelter from the wind and cold. Worst case I can put her in a cat carrier or move the whole crate into the garage for the night. That would make it a chicken mobile home.

A huge thanks to everyone for all your quick help, replies and great ideas, I owe you all. Milton sends her love and thanks you.

wee.gif

Last edited:
One thing. I wouldn't leave her where raccoons can reach in through the wire and kill her at night. Putting her in the garage sounds like the best idea. Oh, and couldn't you put the cage on grass during the day without the tray in the bottom? That would give her something to peck at.

I came home tonight and went up to cover the crate with a tarp and a padded picnic tablecloth. Since it was almost dark she was sleeping on the floor of the crate instead of in the box with the shavings. I kinda felt bad but know she will be warm enough for tonight.

The crate has chicken wire wrapped around it so I dont think coons will be a problem. However, from reading another post I think from now on I will put her into the coop in a nesting box for the night, since its getting dark early, and put her in the crate for the day in the early am.

More for warmth than anything.

Back
Top Bottom