Toulesse goose becoming aggressive

jmanning25

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2017
I have what I thought was a male and female Toulouse geese. The male has imprinted himself on me and is extremely sweet. Both were very sweet actually up until about 2 weeks ago. We've raised them since 3 days old and babied them very much. We got them as pets. Well recently the one I thought to be a female has become very aggressive towards me. She will hiss ,bite, hit me with her wings . I have had to kick at her to get her away from me. However she loves my teenage daughter . I'm getting pretty fed up with her so I'm thinking about rehoming her. But I want to keep the male. Do you think he would be okay if I got rid of just her? And why did she turn with her behavior so suddenly?

Sounds to me like your dealing with a gander. This is very typical behavior I am going through it now with my gander. If you rehome him you are breaking up a life long bond. Just use the broom or bottom of your boot to push him away when he acts this way. I am having to do it daily. End of May first of June it will all be over and they will molt and be back to normal
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

I have 4 French Toulouse I raised from 3 days old and they're jerks because they're geese. lol
When they threaten me I very gently take them by the neck, jockey them into a comfortable position and pet/cuddle them until they calm down. They walk away confused and bewildered....confrontation over. :)

I have 4 French Toulouse I raised from 3 days old and they're jerks because they're geese. lol
When they threaten me I very gently take them by the neck, jockey them into a comfortable position and pet/cuddle them until they calm down. They walk away confused and bewildered....confrontation over. :)
Ha I definitely understand the jerk part. Im a vet tech and owned alot of animals of all different kinds and geese have been the hardest to care for. Probably has alot to do with me raising them as dogs more so than farm animals.

Last edited:
The only difference if a couple Canadian geese have been bullying them . But has nothing to do with me

maybe she is laying eggs and trying to protect them, or maybe she has hidden chicks shes trying to keep safe, Best of luck, they sound like real cuties!!

What state do you live in? Im in nj. I might be interested in her
For now we built them a pen and she or he is actually been better last 2 days. They where free run on our property . Since I would feel bad to separate them, and getting rid of the male is definitely not an option (I'm way to attached to him ) I'm gonna try to work with her . I will keep you in mind though.

Back
Top Bottom