towel wrap for duck/chicken tutorial?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Skye'sDucks, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Skye'sDucks

Skye'sDucks Songster

May 13, 2018
    I've got to clean out a wound on my duck tomorrow and I've already done it once and he just squirms so much, poor guy.

Does anyone have a link to a video or tutorial that shows a good way to wrap my duck in a towel so I can work on his wound?

I tried googling it using a few different terms and I obviously don't know the magic words...since nothing is showing up, and I just really don't feel like dealing with this right now. (call me lazy but I don't lol)

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

When I have a squirmy one sometimes I will zip tie their legs together. Some people say that covering their heads help calm them down too, so maybe you could try placing a sock over his head.

3. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    I wrap mine like a burrito

Lay him on his back on the towel fold it over his legs and belly then roll him up

i could make a video tomorow mine needs tlc too

4. CSAchook

CSAchook Crossing the Road

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    @staceyj you have a video of the "burrito wrapping" method, right?

5. Kris5902

Kris5902 Songster

Oct 12, 2018
    British Columbia, Canada
    I burrito my chicken as well, but I start with her standing, put the towel over like a cloak, slide my hands down from her back to her sides, flip her onto her back and wrap around her belly with the legs sticking out... (I’m working on her feet and legs)

I'm now picturing a shockheaded, zip-tied, duck/towel burrito! You absolutely made my night with your comment!
    :lau:gig:lau

@Skye'sDucks Best of luck in treating your duck, and don’t worry if it takes several wrapping attempts... the videos make it seem so easy, but it isn’t (I swear those are super tame or sedated birds in most of them!) Practice and, if you can get it, a second set of hands (helpers are awesome!) makes it easier.

6. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    It might help to keep the towel out of sight until the last second. My pekins are petrified of towels, even from a distance. I'm their second owner so not sure what their past is concerning towels!

7. Skye'sDucks

Skye'sDucks Songster

May 13, 2018
    Thank you guys for all the help!

I don't know if putting a sock over the head will help this drake...he actually hates his head covered/held and will fight harder when we do that.

Oh my, I wonder what could have made them afraid of towels lol

8. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Just getting on here this morning. Who needs it? I’ll guessing the OP.
    I’ll send it their way.

9. CSAchook

CSAchook Crossing the Road

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    Thanks Stacey!!! Yes, the OP was looking for guidance on restraining a bird with a towel, and I know you have it down to a science :)

10. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    I sent it to her by message.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: