Town Bylaws

JoubertHomestead

Chirping
Mar 22, 2024
Have you checked with your town’s zoning bylaws about keeping chickens?

I was waiting to hear back from my town while figuring out what I wanted for a coop and run. I received an email today and found out I can’t keep chickens.

Has anyone kept chickens when they were told they couldn’t? Did you get caught? What’s the consequences?

I’m thinking about just doing it anyway.

When we were house hunting, chickens were in my top 3 requirements, so I did all my research ahead of time and double checked as we went.

Hens are louder than people assume, so trying to fly under the radar only works if you can bribe everyone around you. Usual consequences for infractions would be fines. And maybe strained relations with neighbors and upset kiddos if their pets are having to be rehomed.

A neighbor has chickens with about the same amount of land as us so we thought it was cool. I never hear their chickens, but I do hear their dogs. If we ever move I will keep that in mind.

Last edited:
If you have some reading time start doing a forum search for this. There are many, many threads with people doing it anyway, then upset when they are told to remove them... Or doing an appeal possibly. Or having no issues. Anyhow, it's your decision ultimately but we all have a different wish list for where we live and like Rosemarythyme, having chickens was important enough to me that my list for my realtor had land size and NO HOA as number 2 (number 1 was internet so i can work lol.) Good luck.

If you have some reading time start doing a forum search for this. There are many, many threads with people doing it anyway, then upset when they are told to remove them... Or doing an appeal possibly. Or having no issues. Anyhow, it's your decision ultimately but we all have a different wish list for where we live and like Rosemarythyme, having chickens was important enough to me that my list for my realtor had land size and NO HOA as number 2 (number 1 was internet so i can work lol.) Good luck.
Thank you. I will do that. Me wanting to keep chickens is new. We’ve lived here for awhile. If we ever move, I will make sure we can keep chickens at the new place.

It's definitely a bummer when you start wanting chickens yet where you live is not condusive. I had assumed at my last house since I was on 2 acres, all would be well. But even then, they developed strict HOA new homes all around me and those people were not thrilled about my non HOA existence. Kind of shocking when you think 2 acres is enough for privacy. I moved.....

A neighbor has chickens with about the same amount of land as us so we thought it was cool. I never hear their chickens, but I do hear their dogs. If we ever move I will keep that in mind.
Some flocks are quiet but there's never a guarantee, even with all hens. I'm on 4 acres. I can still hear my birds from the street past my neighbor's 2-3 acre property (granted, I do have one exceptionally loud hen that delights in just making noise) and of course I can hear their roosters in return. I'm fairly certain that that one hen of mine is louder than their roosters. :D

Back
Top Bottom