Toxicity of Marijuana to Poultry

What about the clippings? 🤔 We are in MA and are allowed to grow for personal use. We’ve collected the clippings and typically compost them or toss them back into the garden but I don’t want my chicken babes to get sick so they are just in a bucket until we figure out if the leaves will harm them.

What about the clippings? 🤔 We are in MA and are allowed to grow for personal use. We’ve collected the clippings and typically compost them or toss them back into the garden but I don’t want my chicken babes to get sick so they are just in a bucket until we figure out if the leaves will harm them.
I h
Thanks man, I appreciate the insight. My chickens are scratchers too. The more I think about it them more I agree I'm going to have to put some type of protection around them to keep the chickens from killing them. :-/
I have the same question and from Massachusetts as well lol. I wanted to throw the clippings in the run but am worried it would make them sick?

Maybe since this is an old thread we can get some more updates on this subject. Our hens ate the bottom leaves off some cannabis plants. They have plenty to eat free range, but they sure seemed to like the cannabis. I’m wondering if chickens do have cannabinoid receptors. Being they evolved from dinosaurs (didn’t they?) that would seem make cannabinoid receptors a part of really really old genetics. Hope someone can add some factual info to this thread.

I've had no side effects with my flock. They do however prefer them fresh cut. They don't do anything with dried ones. Just compost them here! We are only medical here in Ohio!

I see that cannabis is a natural anti-inflammatory. Good to treat bumblefoot, along with spinach and some antibiotics in water. I dont see it doing any harm, if anything should help with pain relief for the swelling on the foot. Cool question!

Like said above there is likely very little to no studies in regards to birds and THC, but they do have the receptors so it will effect them... My take based on studies of other animals and humans there is no practical way for a bird to consume an amount from the plant itself in non-concentrated forum that would be lethal to them, sure like most animals they will get high and might pass out get the munchies but I doubt it will kill them...
Raw Cannabis contains THCA NOT THC. It has to be heated to at least 215 degrees to decarboxylate the THCA into THC. Therefore unheated Cannabis is NON psychoactive.

Back
Top Bottom