Toyed With Integration Today

Today Brunhilda and the rest of the hens spent most of the day in the run/coop with the young 'uns. (The first 3 days of the week, DH was letting the hens out around noon to free range and give the two groups a break from each other. He was busy today and didn't get home until 4:00) anyway, I didn't see any dead or bloody ones, so I'm going to say that things are going well so far. Had to chuckle yesterday. The six old girls were all drinking out of the outdoor waterer at the same time (7 gallon galvanized tube-type one). One brave (or stupid) little cockerel tried 4 different times to get in there and get a drink. (There is a waterer in the coop, too) Well, that little guy got soundly thumped on the head every single time he tried! I had to admire his persistence, anyway. He eventually figured it out.
I love watching the 'brave' little buggers....too funny.

This is only our second year with chickens. We have four year old Easter Eggers and this spring acquired two Black Silver Laced Wyandottes and four Australorps who are now eight weeks old. From the start, the six youngsters were kept in a kiddie pool under a heat lamp until well feathered. During the last four weeks we kept them in the garage where the big girls could come in to 'see' them. All four were very interested and would come in from time to time and just 'hang out' a safe distance from the pool. Last Saturday, (seven weeks of age) we put the babies into the what we call the baby coop. It was the first coop we had, a made from kit coop that all the girls were raised in until we put up a permanent, winterized coop. We kept them in the baby coop for three days straight so that they would know that that's where they need to go after being out for the day. This also gave the big girls a chance to see them up close and personal. The six youngsters are starting to follow the big girls around in a limited area. They have been mimicking their behavior, ie. dust baths, digging for insects, etc. There hasn't been any fighting or pecking - so far. Last night, two of the Australorps jumped up through the pop door into the big coop! DH needs to put up another poop deck and roosting bar in the big coop for when the babies make their permanent move into the Big Girl Coop! I don't know if we've just been lucky with our flock, or if we just had a smooth transition in integrating.....or..... maybe, ignorance is bliss!

Ignorance is bliss sometimes. Glad it's going well. Sometimes we get too involved and it can be hard to stay out of it.

Well, I let the young 'uns out today. They're about 8 weeks old. Plenty old, but it's the first chance I've had to be home and observe to see what the dog would do. I opened the gate, then went in and checked the hen that had been on the nest since yesterday morning (fingers crossed, hoping for a broody, but she was off the nest and another one on it - will have to monitor that situation more closely). Chicks found the open gate immediately, wandered out a bit eating grass. I brought the dog over to see how he'd react. He's the reason I didn't let them out sooner. I just don't quite trust him 100%. I was going to say "yet", but at this point, I don't know if I ever will. Anyway, he glanced in their direction, but didn't really react. I gave him a quiet "Leave it" and he looked away, then wandered off. This shows some promise. I still don't think I'll leave them both out unsupervised for some time, though. If I have to go somewhere, he'll be kenneled, or they'll be in the run. (When I came to the house, he followed me up instead of trying to hang around with the chickens.)

Now, off to check that potential broody situation.... Wish me luck!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Well, I let the young 'uns out today. They're about 8 weeks old. Plenty old, but it's the first chance I've had to be home and observe to see what the dog would do. I opened the gate, then went in and checked the hen that had been on the nest since yesterday morning (fingers crossed, hoping for a broody, but she was off the nest and another one on it - will have to monitor that situation more closely). Chicks found the open gate immediately, wandered out a bit eating grass. I brought the dog over to see how he'd react. He's the reason I didn't let them out sooner. I just don't quite trust him 100%. I was going to say "yet", but at this point, I don't know if I ever will. Anyway, he glanced in their direction, but didn't really react. I gave him a quiet "Leave it" and he looked away, then wandered off. This shows some promise. I still don't think I'll leave them both out unsupervised for some time, though. If I have to go somewhere, he'll be kenneled, or they'll be in the run. (When I came to the house, he followed me up instead of trying to hang around with the chickens.)

Now, off to check that potential broody situation.... Wish me luck!
fl.gif
Gooc cLuck with broody!!

Wonders if dog has learned to leave chick(en)s alone.....or just leave them alone when you're around, you'll have to be sneakier than he to figure that one out.

Gooc cLuck with broody!!

Wonders if dog has learned to leave chick(en)s alone.....or just leave them alone when you're around, you'll have to be sneakier than he to figure that one out.
Update: Went back out to check on things. Original hen was back on nest, so I decided to try moving her. So, I collected hen (at the risk of losing a limb or two) and 3 out of her 4 fake eggs. Put them in an unused nest box on the opposite side of the coop. She was, of course, in the most coveted nest box for the layers. She sat there for about 5 minutes, then went back to the original box. (I had moved the other egg into the one next door) She saw the egg and went for it, so I took her and the last egg and put them back in the one I moved her to. This time she tucked them all under her and settled in. We'll see how things look in the morning.

As for the dog, you're right. I will have to try to sneak around when he thinks he's unsupervised. The thing is, he's unpredictable. He'd left the chickens alone for several months last summer/fall (I thought), but every now and then one would go missing. No evidence anywhere, so I chalked it up to fox, coyote, or whatever. Then one day I came home and saw him carry a freshly dead chicken into the grove. I stopped the car, and he came out of the grove without the chicken. So I went looking. He didn't follow me, and when I came out of the grove with the dead bird, he tucked his tail between his legs and tried to crawl under my car. I let him know that I was not pleased. (DH had been gone all day, and I was at work - so, boredom, maybe? Separation anxiety?)

He accompanied me when I went back out to the chickens this afternoon, and one of the pullets decided she needed to go back into the run. That required getting past the dog, and she thought the best option would be to do that little flying jump that they do... practically right into the dog's mouth! To his credit, he pulled back rather than catching her. I don't know what he'd have done had I not been watching, but I think it was quite tempting even with me standing there. I gave him lots of pets and praise. He'd kind of an idiot, though, so I don't know if he knows why I was praising him.

He's 2 1/2, but has what we believe are Redbone Coonhound genes mixed in with the lab/golden retriever we thought we were getting. In the reading I've done, I've learned that Redbones have "canine ADHD", get bored easily, and like to be near their humans. We have friends that have a 4-year old Redbone mix. They said he hasn't settled down yet...
roll.png
Redbones are also supposedly very smart dogs, but strong-willed. It will be interesting to see how he turns out. Chicks are still out on the loose, but he's laying up here on the deck next to the door, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Like I said before, I just don't trust him if we're going to be gone. Someone will be penned - the dog or the birds.

ETA - When I went to close up the chickens for the night, Miss Broody Pants was right back on the nest I took her from. I guess she'll stay there for the duration, and I'll just have to risk life and limb to check under her every now and again. If I can, I'm going to order some chicks (2 EE and 2 Welsummer) from our farm supply store to be delivered in about 2 1/2 weeks. If not, I'll put a few of my mom's green eggs under her. The rooster is also an EE mix, so I figure there might be a better chance of getting fun eggs if I get pullets from them.

Last edited:
Well - going with Plan B. The local farm supply store isn't keeping chicks in the store anymore, and I would have to order a minimum of 25. I don't want 25 chicks, so going to get some hopefully fertile eggs from my mom. She has two green egg layers, and her rooster is an EE cross. That has to be a good sign. She also has a Welsummer (or Wellie cross - I can't remember). I am going to get some green eggs and some dark brown if she has them. I think 4 of each. Can't wait to see how this turns out. The hen is firmly planted in the one nest box, right in the general population. So, when the eggs hatch, the babies will be right there with everyone. As ornery as she is, though, I think she'll protect them well enough. Off to get my eggs!

Back
Top Bottom