Toys for chicks in the brooder?

TheRealTimShady

Crowing
12 Years
May 23, 2011
Apollo, PA
Howdy all, i've looked thru the brooder thread to see what kinda stuff people put in their brooders for their baby chicks. Mine JUST hatched last night, they are still in the incubator but i've got the brooder setup in the dining room.

Was wondering what neat things people have noticed that baby chicks like. I was gonna put like, some small logs or something like that from my backyard, large enough to kinda perch on, or maybe peck at little bugs in the wood. I'm straight on everything else brooder wise, just wondering what they might like.

I've got small log and a root that is big enough on one end for them to perch on and all wild on the other. They like to climb on it - and fall off.
At first, mostly, they seemed to enjoy just chasing each other around and then falling over to sleep.
When they get a little older, treats are the best toys! Mine got a worm for the first time yesterday and they went NUTS!

How old were they when you gave them a worm? Mine are two days old and so terribly cute. It is hard not to pick them up and love them

I got them from a swap so their ages vary a little, but they're between 2 & 3 weeks.
I'm BRAND NEW to this but I've learned a LOT in the past 2 weeks. You'll want to keep them on nothing but chick starter until they have started getting grit. There's some debate about when to give that though so ask around. I gave mine a little handfull of hay to play in the day before I brought home the grit, and lost one the next day from impacted crop. Don't know if it was related or not, but will NEVER make that mistake again.
I've just started giving them treats, and only when they're outside picking up bits of dirt and sand to go with it.

How old were they when you gave them a worm? Mine are two days old and so terribly cute. It is hard not to pick them up and love them

I gave mine their first worm when they were two weeks old. Worms come with their own grit.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom