Toys Inside the Run

5SweetChicks

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
Michigan
Do you have toys or things for the chickens to climb on in your run? I'm thinking about putting in a jungle gym type of thing for them to play on. But what do you guys think? And ideas?

I had some worms in a peanut butter jar that just before I dumped it in the run I toyed with the idea of just throwing the closed jar into the run and watching the girls peck and chase it around to try and get at the worms. I didn't do it but it got me to wondering about it. I know that they make dog toys that dispense treats as the dog moves the toy around. So why couldn't we do something like that for the chickens?

I have two saw horses ( all wood) about 8 feet apart with a large tree limb that fell out of a tree spannign the 2 saw horses and another tree limb that goes from the ground up to the middle of one of the saw horses.

not a big hit in the winter but all summer long they hang out perched on the limbs and horse.

Tractor supply has a toy like you are talking about. My daughter bought one for our chickens. It's round and yellow with small holes on the sides. They kick it around and a small
amount of treats come out. My girls love it.

My chickens love to climb of things.

I have an old tree stump, and a root stump laying on the run floor. They love to use these to climb on and do a bit of sunbathing and preening. They will have their afternoon sleep on there too. The love it when I move then to a new spot because they will scratch the earth under them for insects.

They also have a few large baskets that they use as lookouts, and the rooster stand on them flapping their wings and crowing.

The other thing they like (in hot weather) is a muddy puddle to paddle about and scratch in. Having wet feet seems to cool them off.

thumbsup.gif
great ideas!!!

Back
Top Bottom