Toys Inside the Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 5SweetChicks, Dec 19, 2012.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Do you have toys or things for the chickens to climb on in your run? I'm thinking about putting in a jungle gym type of thing for them to play on. But what do you guys think? And ideas?

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    All mine seem to do for enjoyment is scratch the ground looking for bugs and tidbits.

3. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I had some worms in a peanut butter jar that just before I dumped it in the run I toyed with the idea of just throwing the closed jar into the run and watching the girls peck and chase it around to try and get at the worms. I didn't do it but it got me to wondering about it. I know that they make dog toys that dispense treats as the dog moves the toy around. So why couldn't we do something like that for the chickens?

4. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Thats actually a good idea. Would be fun to watch too, and they would be having fun!

5. jester8484

jester8484 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Conowingo, Maryland
    My Coop
    I have two saw horses ( all wood) about 8 feet apart with a large tree limb that fell out of a tree spannign the 2 saw horses and another tree limb that goes from the ground up to the middle of one of the saw horses.

not a big hit in the winter but all summer long they hang out perched on the limbs and horse.

6. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I think I'll try something like that too :)

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Tractor supply has a toy like you are talking about. My daughter bought one for our chickens. It's round and yellow with small holes on the sides. They kick it around and a small
    amount of treats come out. My girls love it.

8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My chickens love to climb of things.

I have an old tree stump, and a root stump laying on the run floor. They love to use these to climb on and do a bit of sunbathing and preening. They will have their afternoon sleep on there too. The love it when I move then to a new spot because they will scratch the earth under them for insects.

They also have a few large baskets that they use as lookouts, and the rooster stand on them flapping their wings and crowing.

The other thing they like (in hot weather) is a muddy puddle to paddle about and scratch in. Having wet feet seems to cool them off.

[​IMG]

9. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    thanks for the great ideas. I will certainly use them in the future.

10. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]great ideas!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by