Tractor floor question

GatorKen

Hatching
Jul 11, 2017
Hi all first post here. I've seen this question come up a lot in this forum, but don't feel like I've still got an answer so I thought I'd take another run at this. I'm new to backyard chickens. Close to finishing my coop/run tractor. I want to put wire on the bottom of this tractor to keep out predators (I live in a suburban area, but I think foxes and raccoons will be an issue). The wire will be in contact with the ground when the tractor is stationary. I'm not worried about the wire making the tractor difficult to move as it will be 4" up when the wheels are down for moving. I want to be able to give the chickens access to fresh turf. I know the wire will be "some" impediment to pecking and scratching... just not sure how much.

1) is the wire bottom a bad idea in general?
2) If this is an ok idea, what size mesh? my options are 1"x1", 2"x3", 2"x4"... not sure what would be a good balance.

Thanks!
Ken

As long as your tractor/shelter sits flush with the ground, you really don't need or want a floor inside. If you're concerned about someone digging under to get in, then there are a couple of approaches. Most popular is 1/2" welded wire about two foot, folded along the sides so it sticks out a good foot. Personally, I use three low to the ground hot wires and a small solar charger. Some urban areas prohibit electric fencing though.

It's pretty hard to put an apron on a tractor......and have it be effective and easy to operate. I made one on a hoop coop, but its not great on the long grass the new owner likes to leave.
Hot wire would be a better deterrent.

I built my own chicken tractor, and we've had our chickens in it for about 6 months. I thought about the floor for some time, and decided to not put a wire floor in place. After the first night, I went out the next morning, and inspected for evidence of a predator trying to dig...nothing. After 6 months, I've never seen evidence of an animal trying to dig.
One thing that may impact this is that my neighbor has about 50 chickens in a large area on his property. There is an old wire fence, no top, and no electricity running through it. I suppose I get a little comfort knowing that a raccoon would probably find it easier to climb over his wire fence, than to dig under mine.
Congrats on building your own chicken tractor!
Ryan

Back
Top Bottom