Tractor made from Box Spring

MattLudt

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
I've refitted a to-be-discarded box spring into tractor, as seen in the photos.

It was originally about 10" tall but I used some of the crossbeams (that supported the mattress in its original purpose) to increase the overall height to 24" (so the crossbeams were cut to be 22" and change so that once screwed between top and bottom the height matched the 24" chicken wire I had purchased).

As you can see from the photo I have to points of access: a side door and a retractable roof (made from the dust cover off of the bottom of the box spring). The retractable roof is great because it doubles as the shaded area for our 10 birds during hot, sunny Northern Wisconsin days. My wife's addition was a little perch that is sometimes 3-birds popular.

The arms for the wheels were calibrated to permit the tractor to be flush with the ground but to easily lift it onto the wheels and move it. Not a difficult calibration, fyi.

In addition to the wire, screws, and staples, the only other additions were the wheels (off an old grocery hand truck basket) and the rope for the "handle".

Oh, as it relates to putting all of the old box spring to use, we've also on occasion used the remaining fabric to give the birds additional shade on blazing days.

Given the frequency box springs are offered for free on craigslist.org, this may be a good plan for a cheap tractor for you. Feel free to message me with any questions if you are interested.

Matt

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

You have to post 10 times or so before it will let you upload pictures. Make a few comments on other threads, then show us whatcha got!

A little help..

Box Spring Chicken Tractor retractable roof
5991361217_e84ed4a754_z.jpg

Box Spring Chicken Tractor side door
5991362359_92c4b34b32_z.jpg

Box Spring Chicken Tractor
5991919668_781ff09b70_z.jpg

Box Spring Chicken Tractor wheels
5991360207_b4342956a6_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom