tractor questions ??????

karen71

Songster
14 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Bear, DE
I have been thinking of having DH build me a tractor to use if I want certain chickens to breed - we have one big coop that everyone sleeps in then they free range. I have been interested in the pvc made tractors but my concern is lots of these don't appear to have anyway to lock to chickens up at night maybe I'm missing something
idunno.gif
, Just wondering if tractors should also have a space for roosting and locking doors up at night like the coop -
sorry if stupid question
hide.gif

There are no stupid questions. I don't have much experience with tractors, but do have several bantams paired up in smaller cages (wire circle 3 ft across) and found that they prefer some kind of roost to get them off the ground. We had problems with o'possums getting them through the wire if they were on the ground. But adding a roost pole lets them get up and out of reach.

Last edited:
So they don't get locked in like in the coop - just up off the ground with solid something around the top so nasties can't reach in ?

Well CoyoteMagic that sure looks easy enough and inexpensive - i guess you would put some roost up there for the chickens to sit on . I will show it to DH - looks like it could move easily by hand or 4 wheeler .

You can make a doghouse-type coop to attach the tractor too. I used tractors for some of mine last year, and I just used tarps to cover them, and had a roost in it. They didn't have any coop.

I have one of those hoop houses, it is being used now for some guineas and some LF pullets. I'll be making more for my LF breeder birds, and they will use it year-round

Back
Top Bottom