Tractor supply brands of feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
One other thing to consider, just because a food claims to have calcium, this, that, and other stuff in it, does not mean it is in a form that is easily used by the bird. I mean, I could throw scale off the toilet bowl into the chicken feed and say it has plenty of calcium but if they can only absorb say 2 percent of that and use it, then how effective it it?
That's where the phosphorus comes in.
I just checked mine again it's NatureWise by Nutrena
Did you stick with layer or choose another formula?

I got the one that had a bit of extra protein, said it was for feather repair during molts and to help them do better with eggs the rest of the time. so we will see

Aaron

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutrena-naturewise-feather-fixer-40-lb

This poultry feed is fortified with vitamin D3 and essential oils for healthier hens and eggs, maximized egg production, superior eggshell strength, and noticeably vibrant egg yolks is what it says so hoping it gets them going again.

I got the one that had a bit of extra protein, said it was for feather repair during molts and to help them do better with eggs the rest of the time. so we will see

Aaron

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutrena-naturewise-feather-fixer-40-lb

This poultry feed is fortified with vitamin D3 and essential oils for healthier hens and eggs, maximized egg production, superior eggshell strength, and noticeably vibrant egg yolks is what it says so hoping it gets them going again.
Just opened my first bag of Nutrina Nature wise starter, the smell makes me almost want to eat some. I was very pleased when reading the label to see named ingredients not the general broad possibly anything list that has become the norm on labels.

Aaron

I used to feed that then found Nutrena's All Flock. I go back to Feather Fixer if All Flock is out of stock, it's good stuff

Have you noticed any increase in feed consumption when you changed feeds?

Another twist on feed is there are some ingredients that test good but aren't digestible enough to actually utilize the nutrition they contain. With feed labels often simply giving extremely generic terms for ingredients used in the least cost rations produced today one has no idea what is in the feed they are feeding.
To some extent " the proof is in the pudding" as said, the birds' production picked up dramatically immediately upon being switched to a non-tsc bag of the supposedly similar formula. No waiting for more daylight, no adding more calcium, etc.
I’ve gone from 0 to three a day. Not great but at least I’m getting eggs. Another note. The hens used to come running when they heard me coming. They had stopped doing that . With the change in feed that behavior has started again.

`on Saturday after we had this conversation I did need to get feed.
like I said my local mill is a pain in the butt. ( they are not open when I need them) so I went back to tractor. looked to see what was available and chose to replace the Dumor with Nutrena. Nature wise. As I was loading my cart a young couple was eyeing up my pile of feed and we started talking. They are having the same issue…. Crazy but true… they don’t understand why their flock has stopped laying. I mentioned the YouTuber and our conversation on this site. They unloaded the cart full of Dumor layer and we’re going to make a feed switch as well. The timiming of me going to the stotr and talking to complete strangers is wild .. I know.. but it did happen.
im still not totally blaming the feed but I needed to try this experiment.

I will do my best to keep this forum posted.
I will start off by saying that I only made it this far in the thread. I want to point out to properly run an experiment, EVERY factor must be controlled. This means they must have the same daylight hours, same water, same health (no mites, lice, bumble, etc) exact same amount of stress, etc. The only that can change is the feed to be 100% sure it's the feed causing these issues. If you run an experiment over a course of time when the daylight hours are shifting, your experiment is void. If you change their environment to only artificial light at a certain strength for a given amount of time, to ensure it feed not light causing change, the change in their environment alone would effect the legitimacy of your results. This all makes sense in my head. Maybe some else could reword it to make it more understandable 😬

I will start off by saying that I only made it this far in the thread. I want to point out to properly run an experiment, EVERY factor must be controlled. This means they must have the same daylight hours, same water, same health (no mites, lice, bumble, etc) exact same amount of stress, etc. The only that can change is the feed to be 100% sure it's the feed causing these issues. If you run an experiment over a course of time when the daylight hours are shifting, your experiment is void. If you change their environment to only artificial light at a certain strength for a given amount of time, to ensure it feed not light causing change, the change in their environment alone would effect the legitimacy of your results. This all makes sense in my head. Maybe some else could reword it to make it more understandable 😬
i agree. Just to be clear the only thing I have changed is the feed. I feed and collect at the same time every day. My light and water have not changed. No new animals. Just the feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom