Tractor Supply - dissatisfied with chickens

julieandwade

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2017
Good morning all :)

Has anyone had past experience with Tractor Supply chickens not laying upon maturity up to you expectations? We got 3 Black Sex Links and 4 Golden Comets that hatched the beginning of March 18. We are getting 1 to 2 daily. This seems low to me compared to our experience with Southern States chickens. Just looking for input. Feeding Purina Layena Crumble.

I'm curious about this. I ordered my SLW from TSC; they're 4 weeks old now. I know that our TSC gets their chicks (at least the online orders) from Hoovers Hatchery, I think the in store purchases vary by regional location. I haven't heard about Hoovers chicks growing up to have any laying issues, but it would be interesting to know if this is an issue with the chicks themselves (random genetic anomaly), or if the hatchery they came from might have some laying stock that isn't passing along good laying ability.

Has anyone had past experience with Tractor Supply chickens not laying upon maturity up to you expectations? We got 3 Black Sex Links and 4 Golden Comets that hatched the beginning of March 18. We are getting 1 to 2 daily. This seems low to me compared to our experience with Southern States chickens. Just looking for input. Feeding Purina Layena Crumble.
Where are you located?
Weather plays a part.

I am very pleased with my 4 from TSC, even though 2 turned out to be boys--I got over that.

As far as laying, both my girls(one is a barred rock and the other im not sure?) were 4.5 months old when they started laying and have laid daily ever since. They were hatched 3/1/18

What breed is this one(the female--both are from TSC)?

image.jpg
image.jpg

I am very pleased with my 4 from TSC, even though 2 turned out to be boys--I got over that.

As far as laying, both my girls(one is a barred rock and the other im not sure?) were 4.5 months old when they started laying and have laid daily ever since. They were hatched 3/1/18

View attachment 1578677 View attachment 1578678
Hatchery RIR.

View attachment 1578677 View attachment 1578678
Rhode Island Red hen

I wouldn't blame TSC. They get their chicks from hatcheries. Some start laying later than others and weather can be a factor. When they first start to lay they may not lay every day.

Do you mean they have declined in production or have always been that way. You have duel purpose Birds so depending on the bloodline some are More directed for meat or for layers/meat. Switch feed to a Grower finisher at 18% protein and provide oyster shell in a separate dish.
I agree you may want to try some higher protein feed. Currently I'm getting ready for my breeding season and all of my birds are on a 20% protein breeder feed.

Back
Top Bottom