Tractor Supply - dissatisfied with chickens

Do you mean they have declined in production or have always been that way. You have duel purpose Birds so depending on the bloodline some are More directed for meat or for layers/meat. Switch feed to a Grower finisher at 18% protein and provide oyster shell in a separate dish.
They have only begun laying in the last month or so, and they just lay infrequently.
My first chickens 2 years ago from SS were white rocks and a plymouth rock, and last year I had RIR and an Americauna. I've always had wonderful layers up til this year.

They have only begun laying in the last month or so, and they just lay infrequently.
My first chickens 2 years ago from SS were white rocks and a plymouth rock, and last year I had RIR and an Americauna. I've always had wonderful layers up til this year.
Most hatchery birds lay best their first couple of years.

My Leghorns are my best layers and now it's molting season here and while the other birds have slowed down considerably my Leghorns even while molting are laying great. They are flighty birds.

Alright I'd like to say it's the breeds you have. Plus what attributes were bred into that breed/Bloodline. Like I pointed out. Some were bred for meat and other bloodlines to produce eggs. I hope you understand what I mean?..
I do see what you are saying, however when we chose them, we did so based on the sign saying how they were hefty layers. I'm just disappointed that after 8 months, we aren't getting any more.

It isn't a matter of TSC chicks unless they spent a lot of time there deprived of food and water, setting them back. (one never knows how chicks are managed at a feed store)
The most likely culprit is that they reached egg laying age a full two months AFTER summer solstice. The declining day length retarded their sexual maturity. Since they are at a good age for doing so and you want eggs, I would add light to the coop on a timer. If you increase day length by about 20 minutes every 3 or 4 days till you get over 12 hours, I'll bet they are all laying in short order. You can increase light all at once but gradually will be more natural.
Check the space between the pointy pelvic bones. Those that are laying will have more than 2 finger width between the bones. As you increase light continue to check pelvic bones and you'll see the space widen. When the space is small, an egg can't pass. So as birds reach production the space naturally widens.

I've posted the following information several times but here goes again.

"It has nothing to do with temperature. However it is related to day length or, more accurately, whether days are getting shorter or lengthening.
It just happens to be cold when days are short in most climates.

Here's a brief rundown of the science.
Light exposure to the retina is first relayed to the nucleus of the hypothalamus, an area of the brain that coordinates biological clock signals. Fibers from there descend to the spinal cord and then project to the superior cervical ganglia, from which neurons ascend back to the pineal gland. The pineal gland translates signals from the nervous system into a hormonal signal.

When light periods are shorter, the gland produces serotonin and subsequently, melatonin. That's the hormone that affects the gonads for sperm production in males and ovulation in females. An increase in melatonin causes the gonads to become inactive. This also causes combs and wattles to pale and shrink.
Photoperiod, in relation to day vs. night, is the most important clue for animals to determine season. And by extension, when to reproduce.
Cold really has very little to do with egg production. The same thing happens whether it is a cold or warm climate.
As light lengthens, the gonads are rejuvenated. The duration of melatonin secretion each day is directly proportional to the length of the night because of the pineal gland's ability to measure daylength. Besides reproduction, it also affects sleep timing and blood pressure regulation.
So as the light period increases, in relation to the dark period, it stimulates reproduction, the growing and reddening of combs/wattles - voila - EGGS."

My 4 younger ones, not from TSC are now starting to lay. 3 out of 4 are laying. They started later then the older two and they also started after it started getting darker earlier. I almost thought they were going to wait until spring to lay because of the light ussue.

Back
Top Bottom