Tractor supply or hatchery?

I tried to get my Call Ducklings from a local gal with an incubator and she lost the whole batch but 2 out of 18 eggs. She had already sold them and it was sad to have my hopes up for all of those days only to have them all die. She was using shipped eggs and had never done it before but never told me that until after the fact. That is why I am getting mine shipped from Metzer. They will guarantee them to be alive and well for I believe 72 hours once I get them.
accidents can happen. last night, I turned my back for one second whilst loading new chicks into the brooder, and by the time I looked back, my cat had a day old hatchling in his mouth. what's important is that we learn from our mistakes, and do better next time. RIP Belladonna, I promise it won't happen again:hit

I would choose getting chicks directly from hatcheries and breeders rather than Tractor Supply. The chicks at Tractor Supply come from Hoover's Hatchery and sometimes Ideal Poultry. My experience with Tractor Supply is that they constantly get their birds mixed up. I have seen Cornish Cross in the Assorted Bantam bin, I have seen ducks in the Brahma bin, random mixed breeds in random bins, and more. It's crazy with the way Tractor Supply doesn't know their stuff. Once, I was getting chicks out of the Unsexed Assorted Bantam bin and asked a worker there if they knew what breeds these chicks were. They replied, "Unsexed." A lot of my chickens come from Tractor Supply and some of them actually look great for the breed, but some are absolutely not what they are supposed to look like.
Our Tractor Supply just grabs a worker from the floor to get the 6 ducks or chicks that a person wants. They have no knowledge as the store cannot afford to hire a reputable person that might know something about them and keep them in a department that only needs help occasionally. My last two Runner Ducks that I got from Rural King looked like Runner ducklings as ducklings but my drake looks more like a Snowy Mallard duck now. The claim Snowy Mallards don't have the eye stripes though and he did. My Hen is absolutely beautiful and stand straight and tall like a Runner. It's a crap shoot for sure when you buy from the bins but sometimes it turns out a pleasant surprise. The price is right too compared to shipping. Rural king will let you buy 2 but our Tractor Supply makes you buy 6 which I could never brood in my house at one time. Two is enough for sure.

accidents can happen. last night, I turned my back for one second whilst loading new chicks into the brooder, and by the time I looked back, my cat had a day old hatchling in his mouth. what's important is that we learn from our mistakes, and do better next time. RIP Belladonna, I promise it won't happen again:hit
So sorry that this happened. Things can happen so fast and I have two small dogs so if any of mine would get out I know they would try to go after them. If I yell though they stop as my little finch bird has gotten out before and my Chihuahua just went up and sniffed it and left it alone. It's the ducks peeping that make them think they are a squeaker toy.

Do experienced chicken keepers prefer to buy chicks through Tractor Supply or hatcheries?
Tractor Supply gets their chicks from Hoover Hatchery, and they are not vaccinated for Marek's. When I buy chicks, I prefer them to be vaccinated for Marek's, so I buy from hatcheries that offer the vaccine.

Our Tractor Supply just grabs a worker from the floor to get the 6 ducks or chicks that a person wants. They have no knowledge as the store cannot afford to hire a reputable person that might know something about them and keep them in a department that only needs help occasionally. My last two Runner Ducks that I got from Rural King looked like Runner ducklings as ducklings but my drake looks more like a Snowy Mallard duck now. The claim Snowy Mallards don't have the eye stripes though and he did. My Hen is absolutely beautiful and stand straight and tall like a Runner. It's a crap shoot for sure when you buy from the bins but sometimes it turns out a pleasant surprise. The price is right too compared to shipping. Rural king will let you buy 2 but our Tractor Supply makes you buy 6 which I could never brood in my house at one time. Two is enough for sure.
My Tractor Supply's minimum on chicks is four, but when it gets closer to the end of Chick Days they begin allowing you to buy however many you want, in my experience.

Do experienced chicken keepers prefer to buy chicks through Tractor Supply or hatcheries?

We ordered 7 black Australorp chicks this summer from Mount Healthy Hatchery. We received 8, and all are pullets and wonderful, healthy birds. Our experience was so great that I'd naturally be inclined to order from them again.

But they do charge a $30 shipping fee for shipping fewer than 15 chicks, and there's an understandable shipping minimum of 3 chicks.

Ideally, I like the thought of going to Tractor Supply and having the freedom to choose the individual chicks and possibly choosing only 2 as opposed to 3 (and risk the possibility of receiving 4 -- our run would be maxed out at 12 chickens). However, I have no experience buying chicks from our local TSC.

Is buying from TSC comparable to buying from a good hatchery? Or does the quality of hatchery chicks make up for the additional costs?

Thank you!
Buy them from a hatchery that properly vaccinates their birds for Marek's disease. We bought several chicks from TSC and all are dead from Marek's and the cancer they get due to Marek's, except for one. She will die, too, from cancer. But she has a stubborn will to live.

Back
Top Bottom