Tractor supply or hatchery?

Personally if I could, I would order. For me it's just not realistic with the costs.

The TSC in my area is fairly new. They don't offer much selection. They had a bin of assorted ducks, Australorps and sexlinks, and assorted bantams. When I asked if the chick person would grab me the three silkies out of the bantam box she said it was luck of the draw. I said nvermind then. I think she didn't want to admit she couldn't tell which were silkies, which is alright. The birds looked happy and healthy though each time I've been in there.

Our Wilcos have been around more and they offer a much larger variety. they are accurately separated and well cared for. They will call when a breed you're looking for is available.

My favorite place to get chicks personally has been The Old Mill feed n seed in Dallas OR. I have a loooong history with that place that goes back to kindergarten (Kindergarten was right next door. That's its own story.) But even if I was new to the area and didn't have that history, I'd still say the local place is the best. They do a chick days event, allow customers to preorder, have twenty plus bins with breeds, and very knowledgeable staff. They order from Privett. My current birds are from there and have been the healthiest flock I've ever had.
Probably depends on the TSC. Thankfully ours doesn't allow the public to touch the babies, but if you are looking for something specific within the bins they will comply. Example on the bantam bin, wanted some feathered legged. The clerk would pick up one, bring it over to us and we could say yes or no. She also listened to what we described and chose accordingly and again showed it to us before it went into the box.

I just saw online where they are trying to revise the limit to be sold in Ohio from 6 to 3 of chicks and ducklings but it still says they must be 4 weeks old. I wonder if that is a typo and it should have read 4 days old??? I can't imagine any feed store here wanting to get 4 week old ducklings or chicks and expect to be able to sell them. I also wonder how many of our feed stores will comply hoping that no one will really check this out. Just wondering as this seems so off key.

I just saw online where they are trying to revise the limit to be sold in Ohio from 6 to 3 of chicks and ducklings but it still says they must be 4 weeks old. I wonder if that is a typo and it should have read 4 days old??? I can't imagine any feed store here wanting to get 4 week old ducklings or chicks and expect to be able to sell them. I also wonder how many of our feed stores will comply hoping that no one will really check this out. Just wondering as this seems so off key.
Is this the law you are talking about, that they are trying to revise?

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-925.62
"No poultry younger than four weeks of age may be sold, given away, or otherwise distributed to any person in lots of less than six."

The limit of six applies when they are less than 4 weeks old.
After they reach 4 weeks, they can be sold in smaller groups or individually.

Is this the law you are talking about, that they are trying to revise?

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-925.62
"No poultry younger than four weeks of age may be sold, given away, or otherwise distributed to any person in lots of less than six."

The limit of six applies when they are less than 4 weeks old.
After they reach 4 weeks, they can be sold in smaller groups or individually.
Yes, thank you so much. I tried to let other Ohioians know that I had misunderstood the law on the Ohio Site. Once I looked it back up I knew I had taken it wrong. They are also talking about lessening it to three so hopefully they will do that soon. I appreciate you fixing it for me, thanks again.

TSC sells the chicks from Hoover hatchery. So basically you get chickens from a hatchery through TSC. You could look for local farmers and breeders.
I found my two Muscovy babies over an hour away from my house off of Craigslist. It was a pretty scary place though with all kinds of animals and a strange person bringing them to us. I was happy to pay and leave as quickly as I could as it was way off of the beaten path in no mans land.

Do experienced chicken keepers prefer to buy chicks through Tractor Supply or hatcheries?

We ordered 7 black Australorp chicks this summer from Mount Healthy Hatchery. We received 8, and all are pullets and wonderful, healthy birds. Our experience was so great that I'd naturally be inclined to order from them again.

But they do charge a $30 shipping fee for shipping fewer than 15 chicks, and there's an understandable shipping minimum of 3 chicks.

Ideally, I like the thought of going to Tractor Supply and having the freedom to choose the individual chicks and possibly choosing only 2 as opposed to 3 (and risk the possibility of receiving 4 -- our run would be maxed out at 12 chickens). However, I have no experience buying chicks from our local TSC.

Is buying from TSC comparable to buying from a good hatchery? Or does the quality of hatchery chicks make up for the additional costs?

Thank you!
I use Cackle Hatchery and McMurray’s Hatchery. All have always been healthy and I never lost a chick. This year, I’m getting my Lavender Orphingtons via eBay. I’m a little nervous about this, but I’ll try them this year and see what happens.

I use Cackle Hatchery and McMurray’s Hatchery. All have always been healthy and I never lost a chick. This year, I’m getting my Lavender Orphingtons via eBay. I’m a little nervous about this, but I’ll try them this year and see what happens.
I used Cackle last year, ordered 5 sexed Dominique bantams. They sent 6, two were males. I was refunded for one, and sold the boys at auction. I'd use Cackle again.

Back
Top Bottom