Tractor supply ducklings

I am thinking of getting a couple of baby duckies...what do y'all recommend for a first-timer of ducks? I don't have a 'flock' of anything, unless having two Serama hens is a flock, lol.
I want something friendly with smaller chickens and children, that isn't big on flying and could occasionally come into the house (with a diaper), like I do with my Serama hens.
They have a coop/run outside in our yard (5ftx10ft pvc framed, built by me).
I am sure that as little fluffy ducklings they'll need to stay inside while it's so cold and nasty, but when they feather out I'd like to have them in the run with my two little hens.
Is this a possibility? And what breeds do y'all recommend? I'd love to get a couple of bantam ducks, to go with my tiny bantam chickens.
I called my local Tractor Supply, they're expecting their first shipment of ducklings and chicks any day now. Do they ever get duck breeds that I could get, that would work for me and what I'm looking for?
I'm in GA, Atlanta suburb (rural-ish).

Thank you in advance for any and all advice and ideas!

At my TS in NC, I have only ever seen Mallards and Pekins. But not sure if every TS is different depending on area etc. I have a couple Pekins myself they are huge, however so friendly and full of personality! They are my favorite, they can't fly either.

Pekins are definitely friendly. They are pretty easy to care for and would be a good first choice if you are buying at a local feed store.
If you are willing to order ducks from a hatchery I love my Welsh Harlequins. Very mellow and friendly.

Been to the store yet?
tongue.png

Thank you for your feedback! I looked into both breeds, and I think I've made a decision...but I'd like y'alls opinion on if it's a good one.
I was thinking of getting a Pekin and a Welsh Harlequin, ordering from Metzer. I looked at the breeds they offer, and I think they're the best breeds for what I'm looking for.
I have to get an "Aflac" duck, lol. It was the only way that I could sell my husband on the ducks. I already have two Serama chicken hens, a dog, 6 pet rats, 4 hermit crabs (we've had for over 5 yrs now)...so, trying to sell him on getting a couple more familymembers was a hard sell! But, I think I've been successful.
So, now my question is...male or female? I've read that Drakes are usually quieter...is this fact or a hit-or-miss "fact"? I'd like eggs, but it's not a huge deal, but I don't want aggression from a Drake when he becomes an adult. I have 4 kids and don't want them to be fearful, if the duck gets aggressive.
So, one of each...male or female, or male of one and female of the other?That might make for some interesting offspring! lol

Thank you for your feedback! I looked into both breeds, and I think I've made a decision...but I'd like y'alls opinion on if it's a good one.
I was thinking of getting a Pekin and a Welsh Harlequin, ordering from Metzer. I looked at the breeds they offer, and I think they're the best breeds for what I'm looking for.
I have to get an "Aflac" duck, lol. It was the only way that I could sell my husband on the ducks. I already have two Serama chicken hens, a dog, 6 pet rats, 4 hermit crabs (we've had for over 5 yrs now)...so, trying to sell him on getting a couple more familymembers was a hard sell! But, I think I've been successful.
So, now my question is...male or female? I've read that Drakes are usually quieter...is this fact or a hit-or-miss "fact"? I'd like eggs, but it's not a huge deal, but I don't want aggression from a Drake when he becomes an adult. I have 4 kids and don't want them to be fearful, if the duck gets aggressive.
So, one of each...male or female, or male of one and female of the other?That might make for some interesting offspring! lol

Are they going to be kept with the chickens?

Most likely, unless they can't.
If thats the case, then I'll build a separate run for them come Spring.
I have a 5ftx10ft covered (while it's cold and yucky out) run for my two Serama hens. I could do something similar for the ducks, if needed.
Are you concerned that the ducks, as adults, might hurt my little chickens?
What if they were around the chickens alot as ducklings?
I've only had these two hens for a little over a year, so I'm a novice.
I've had lots of different animals in my lifetime and want to do what's best for them.

Some people raise ducks with chickens, some people will advise against it. However if you had male ducks they would try to mate your hens which can be harmful.

For your first question, My drakes are quieter than my females but I don't find my females loud constantly either.. But every duck is different. I raised 2 males with no aggression issues but again every duck is different.

Some people raise ducks with chickens, some people will advise against it. However if you had male ducks they would try to mate your hens which can be harmful.

For your first question, My drakes are quieter than my females but I don't find my females loud constantly either.. But every duck is different. I raised 2 males with no aggression issues but again every duck is different.

I guess I'll have to play it by ear then, watch them, and just be prepared to build a duck run too! :)

Back
Top Bottom