Tractor supply Marans and others?

Can you ask the TSC what hatchery they order from? That may make it easier to narrow down the breed.

Also be sure to check the bottom of their feet to see the color. I have some cuckoo Marans from Hoover’s and two out of three have a yellowish tint but the bottom of their foot is pink/cream colored

Only French marans have feathered legs- the English lines are clean legged. I can't really tell by that pic. No marans should have yellow legs but I have read on this forum recently of 2 others whose marans hatched yellow legs. A major fault for breeding but if that's not your game then not to worry. There are other breeds that look like marans as chicks so you may have something else. Time will tell. Hope you come back in a few weeks with more pics!

80930CD6-D3EA-4397-9CC5-45128DC41A88.jpeg
98076462-A112-4C7D-B83F-89E8BBE71E5B.jpeg
1F068CEA-1D99-480C-B7D7-60960ABDCA60.jpeg
Also could I put two of the runts from the Amberlink brown chicken group with the marans? I wouldn’t put the normal size bird he’s for reference on how big of a size difference there is between the two little ones.

While I still doubt that's a Marans due to the yellow feet, I realize it could simply be that these are hatchery-quality. My guess is also Jersey Giant, but we shall see as soon as she's feathered out! :)

One quality to look for after maturity is the eyes. Those of Marans are VERY distinctive. My Black and Black Coppers have the most gorgeous, striking bright yellow eyes with dark splotches and flecks. From what I can tell, Giants usually sport dark, soulful eyes instead.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom