tractor supply

I got 6 chicks there last year. first time having chickens. I won't do it again. Not so sure about every store, but they couldn't tell us much about them, andwe really had to wait until they got bigger to figure out what they were. Another things is, we had three roosters, since they are not sexed, the other three didn't make it past 3 months. Since then we have had alot of luck with getting chicks locally and it works out much better.
We actually have found some wonderful chickens on craigslist. But I guess that would depend on where you are located.
Jenny

We got 5 chicks and 2 ducks from them last year. They did fine. 5 chicks were all hens but we had a friend who ended up with over half of them roosters! I guess we were lucky.

If I remember correctly, Tractor Supply was doing some wacky things last year too, something about taking personal information from everybody who bought chicks, for some registry or something, I don't quite remember. Also they have a 6 chick minimum now. But I haven't bought from them, the one time I wanted to I couldn't because I only need 2 chicks, but they said I had to buy 6, I only wanted them because I had only one egg hatch out of a batch, and I didn't want him to be lonely.

The TSC here got their chicks from Privett. I bought 3 meaties and 6 bantams. The people here seemed to be caring for the chicks ok, but didnt seem to know much about breeds. Add that to the fact that some parents ignored the signs asking not to let children handle the chicks and kids putting the babies back in which ever tub the happened to be next to..... it's no wonder that the chicks got all mixed up and confused.

They were taking personal information. I did not ask the reason, but it appeared to be a log for ag or health purposes. I think there were some threads on here denoting where they order their chicks from. I go my first chicks last year, and from TSC. I ended up with a odd bunch of birds. Healthy for all intents, but odd breeds. I ordered straight from a hatchery this year. As far as a minimum order, I think that can be negoiated. Obviously, negotiation experiences vary from store to store. the guys at the local TSC here were pretty flexible.

Each location orders from the place that is the most convenient for them. So it varies from store to store. Taking down personal info varies too depending on local ordinances and management policies. Since there are some ignorant people that buy chicks as disposable commodoties for Easter, some areas have regulations stating that a minimum needs to be bought. That is so that they can ensure that some idiot isn't in there buying one or two for their kids Easter basket. In our area there are no regulations about minimums and no personal info is asked for. Also, poultry knowledge varies from store to store depending on the experience of individual employees.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
What she said!!

When I asked the guy as TSC last year what breed of chicks he had left, he told me, and I quote "pullets". YES, but BO, RIR, what? He had no idea what I was talking about. Granted, I made that mistake when we moved to the farm 9 years ago, but I was a city girl and didn't actually work at a FARM store.

I asked today when they were getting chicks and got told, and again I quote "sometime". Well allrighty then!

Back
Top Bottom