Tractor Supply's chicks?

By all means check with any local feed stores. TSC used to order in hundreds of chicks and sold them for Easter at around 1.00 each. We have some local independent stores that still sell chicks. You can always ask them to order you Pullets. The thing is, if they come in with others they can get mixed up.

Ideal let you order fewer than 25 but they do send body warmers along for the ones you do order. You can get what you want and when you want them if you order directly.

When I ordered form Murray McMurray, I only wanted 12 birds. I fille the order with California White males at around
.65 cents per bird. I just considered it as part of the shipping cost. I was able to give those birds to my feed store and they added them to the ones they had for sale. Our feed store did not order from a hatchery that carried the breeds I wanted.

I ordered from McMurray hatcheries, and I ordered my chicks already sexed, had to pay a little more but i did get just what i ordered. 24 hens and 2 roos.Went to their website and looked at what they had before i ordered anything, would recommend them.(sold half for a profit to)

Owned by 12 RIR. 1 pitt bull, 1 poodle mis,1 yorkie, and 1 crabby gray cat.

Does anyone know how Tractor Supply (or other stores) put out their chicks? Do they have the males and females separated or do you just get whatever?"

They put out whatever, so you have to select well. My wife says if you hold a chick allowing their feet to swing free that the males will kick or look like they are running and the females will retract thier legs like they are sitting.

If you have an Atwoods, they normally have the standard straight runs (unbanded males and females) separate from the standard pullets (banded females). Bantams are always straight runs.

I did buy from TSC one year and their chicks were strictly stright runs.

TSC is getting chicks this year. They normally have 2-3 bins of straight run and 1 bin of sexed pullets. And then ducklings. All TSC stores order chicks through Mt.Healthy hatchery. I got 5 pullet chicks from them 2 years ago and all were girls. Im getting 6 or so more this year as well.
smile.png

My local TSC ( aka Runnings) took my order last year and let me know when they were in. They didn't have too many st runs, and had the tanks marked pullets and what kind the birds were. They woulda ordered what I wanted if I would have put in an order. What they had coming was what I wanted. I only ended up with 1 rooster, so I thought that was pretty good. Just go in and ask them or call them to order for you, and I am sure they will place your order for you.

the local tsc here just has tubs set out and marked them chicks straight run, ducks straight run and something else, i didn't bother to look. other then to see that it had nothing to do with chicks. then they had aal the paraphernalia, small cages feed trays fonts ect. they forgot to put the feed bags amongst all of it tho.
gig.gif

Our local feed stores and Big R all have chicks each spring. (They come next week ... I'm staying away.)

Anyway, they have tanks with pullets, straight runs, ducklings, geese and turkeys. All are kept separate with signs telling people what's in the tank. (Not the breed, just the sex. It's totally a guess what the breed is at Big R as the employees have no clue but the feed stores always know what breed they have also.) However, when I stood and watched once I saw a little boy pick up a straight run chick and then put it back down in the pullet tank. The clerk told me that was their biggest problem, people picking them up and then putting them back into the wrong tanks. He could have picked up a Roo and put it in with the pullets not to mention all the stress on those poor babies being handled so much by people who haven't washed their hands, etc.

I ordered from Ideal this year. My babies don't come until May as I'm getting some Guineas also and they aren't available until then. I can't go near the feedstore now because I don't have room for more chickens other than what I ordered. This is going to be hard!!! I can't believe I have to wait another 2 1/2 months for my chicks.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom