1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trader Joe's Eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by can't get enough chicken, Jan 8, 2011.

1. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Is it possible to hatch chicks from fertile Trader Joe's Eggs? I heard it was if you go really early and get them! Just curious![​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mwaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa! Is it possible, you ask?

Voila!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little black one is not a TJs chick, I had some other eggs in the incubator with the TJ eggs.

Three out of a dozen eggs, not bad for an $2.47 eggspermiment!

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have been wanting to try this! [​IMG]

4. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched 15 out of 36 with Trader Joes eggs. It was my first hatch ever and cost a whole $7.00.

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

This has got to be the most intriguing thing I have ever heard of!! I just can't imagine first of all that they deliberately market FERTILE eggs, and secondly that they are able to hatch after all of the handling, temperature issues, etc. You hear so much about people ordering fertile eggs and they get nothing, but you can buy a dozen totally mishandled eggs (for hatching standards) and get a pretty good rate of hatching. Amazing!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Or, you can do it like me... get FRESH eggs from your own hens, laid that very day, and not get any of them past day 18.... I suck. [​IMG]

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm envious of everyone that HAS a Trader Joe's. On the rare occasion I travel to a city that has one, its the first place I hit - I love it.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Here's my theory why any TJs eggs hatch:

The shipper only handles eggs. Great big temperature controlled trucks. Flats and flats and flats of carefully handled eggs. Loaded and stacked using dollies, pallets, fork-lifts, etc.

Unlike USPS or UPS or FedEx. Small boxes handled individually by human beings and shipped in unrefrigerated trucks in huge stacks of boxes of other sizes. Just for starters.....

9. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I really want to try this but I am not allowed roosters where I live so I don't want to take the risk of getting a rooster and then selling it for dinner [​IMG]

10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You really didn't have to give Linda a reason to show off her TJ eggs again did you? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think it is pretty cool that they will hatch! [​IMG] If we had one around here I would try it but no TJ's in Utah. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by