Trader Joe's Eggs?

We don't have fancy stores like that around here.
But we do have lots of people who sell eggs and the Amish.
So I can get a dozen fertile eggs for a buck or two.
Plus the local small animal sale (they sell eggs to)1st and 3rd Saturday and its only about 4 blocks away.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Bob's Henhouse :

Well, I finally broke down and bought a dozen TJ's eggs. I candled them at 5 days and I have 3 developing!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

I've never tried taking pics of an egg developing, but I'm going to give it a try. I'll keep you posted.

Well, buggers, on closer inspection one looks like a blood ring.
sad.png

Just for the record, purely for informational purposes, I want to say that I have never seen such a low ratio of developers. Do you know who old your eggs were when you put them in? I have done the Trader Joe's eggs numerous times and 7 dyas seems to be the magic line.

Best of luck to you on your hatch!
smile.png

JoJo at 22 months...
168666_195322983811387_100000010599632_748858_850210_n.jpg

some peeps...
60476_163628680314151_100000010599632_544739_6691383_n.jpg

cockerels...
168045_190398820970470_100000010599632_719999_6145436_n.jpg

Last edited:
Bob's Henhouse :

Quote:
Just for the record, purely for informational purposes, this looks like less than 75%

Oh, yes, I didn't expect a 75% hatch! But still cheaper than buying Leghorn chicks at the feed store. And a wonderful eggsperiment.

I tried a second dozen and only got ONE chick, so now I have four little Leghorns. One is a cockerel, I think the others are all pullets. (Based on two things: the little upside down hatchling came out of the egg WITH a visible comb, and he's not developing the tailfeathers the way the others are. Even the youngest one has more tailfeather growth than does he.)

Leghorn chicks at the feed store are usually $1.95 to $2.25, depending on which store you find 'em. So I spent $5.04, four weeks total incubator time, and got four chicks.​

Greyeyes, I was only expecting about 3, but more likely to get 2 out of my dozen. I was happy to get any. I remember when yours hatched during the NYD hatchathon. I was just not expecting to get static for my hatch rate from the expert in the previous post. So I'll leave this thread to the expert and go back to where i came from.
smile.png

Wow! I so totally just thought about this yesterday when I walked by the egg section a TJs! LOL
Cool to know!

Actually the first store is in Pasadena, but I grew up shopping at the Huntington Beach store, it's been there forever! I think there may be more here in Pasadena than anywhere, I have at least 3 within a few miles of me. I wonder how "old" the eggs should be? Since the distribution center is just a few miles from me, I wonder if I'd have a better chance of getting really fresh ones.

What are the chickens like? Personality good? I imagine that they lay tons of eggs! I do wish the fertile eggs were brown. I don't know why, but I have always preferred brown eggs. Maybe it's because many of the brown layers lay somewhat less? Or not...

Back
Top Bottom