Trader Joe's Fertile Eggs - Started 8/11/12

OMG...how did you know? I counted down the weeks until my first girls (hatch 1/4/2012) were laying. :eek:) Paprikash is the one that is brooding on these eggs. She's very protective of the brood. I tried to candle last night. Most of the eggs look very porous. I saw one redish looking dot inside one egg. I wasn't able to look at them all and probably inspected the same one a few times. I set them on Friday so I would think by tomorrow I should see some veining. I've never done this before so not exactly sure what I am looking for.
takes an OCD to know an OCD
I think I'm gonna do my first candling on day 14 but who knows what I'll be looking at. Planning on doing it as i move them and mamma to her own brooding box
Im sure you looked at the same ones twice unless you moved them from one box to another or marked them as you candled
a true OCD would have done that
lau.gif

so your at day 3? theres a thread here with some great progression shots - let see if i can find it...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

so now after looking at that again i think i should candle earlier...

Hi all!
I have been incubating some tj eggs as well. Today is day 21, originally i started with 2 dozen on day 7 i candled and 5 appeared to not be fertile. Of the remaining 19 all made it to lockdown. Yesterday we got our first pips and zips and by evening i had 3-4 that had hatched. This morning we have 16 chicks the remaining 3 eggs have pips! Looks like a great hatch rate!
thumbsup.gif

Im at day 9 - if I candle and see this
Im pretty sure I'll drop the egg - advice? support? candle over a pillow??

I think I'm gonna do my first candling on day 14 but who knows what I'll be looking at. Planning on doing it as i move them and mamma to her own brooding box
Im sure you looked at the same ones twice unless you moved them from one box to another or marked them as you candled
lau.gif

so your at day 3? theres a thread here with some great progression shots - let see if i can find it...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Yeah, I'm not OCD, but I live with several. Funny what they OCD over. I am analytical and need my data a certain way. You could call it OCD or anal. Virgo by nature, Database Programmer by trade. They go hand and hand, right?

I'll candle tonight and move each egg to the empty nest. I was afraid being out from under mom for too long might damage the egg. Newbie fear.

lau.gif

wow, that's awesome, thanks for posting. Can't wait to look again tonight. I should make a candle box rather than using my husbands flashlight.

yeah Im thinking I should stop telling "other" people
they all think I'm crazy already without adding this little tid-bit
idunno.gif
Glad I'm not alone. However, I did post my craziness on FB. Of which I know all 300 of my FB Friends personally. But they like thinking there is at least one person more crazy than themselves out there.
pop.gif

Im at day 9 - if I candle and see this
Im pretty sure I'll drop the egg - advice? support? candle over a pillow??

LOL, yes, or seriously, you could make a simple candler where you set the egg in a slot (usually a hole cut into a sheet of cardboard that sits above an enclosed light source). If it's not as wiggly, don't worry, they are often quiet, but you can usually get them moving a little bit by turning the egg ;-)

Back
Top Bottom