Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Joining the Club! I'll be setting my (first) batch of TJ eggs tomorrow morning...Can't wait!
wee.gif
Good luck! So far my eggs from the Chico TJ are doing better than expected (knock on wood).

Well, I have bad news for my TJ's eggs. Out of 1 dozen I had 4 develop, but none hatched. They all quit late, 2 quit around day 17 and the other two look like they quit about 2/3 of the way through incubation. I opened them up and that's what I saw. I'm very sad that they didn't make it, but I guess that's life. I also had a Marans egg quit at day 17 but every other egg that made it to lockdown(11 of them) hatched.
I am trying again, this time with two dozen! I'm setting them tomorrow, along with a dozen EE eggs.

Well, I have bad news for my TJ's eggs. Out of 1 dozen I had 4 develop, but none hatched. They all quit late, 2 quit around day 17 and the other two look like they quit about 2/3 of the way through incubation. I opened them up and that's what I saw. I'm very sad that they didn't make it, but I guess that's life. I also had a Marans egg quit at day 17 but every other egg that made it to lockdown(11 of them) hatched.
I am trying again, this time with two dozen! I'm setting them tomorrow, along with a dozen EE eggs.

Sorry about those eggs. That's pretty disappointing :/ Did you take note of the date on the carton? Maybe your batch was not as fresh? Mine were 8 days after packing. They hatched exactly on the "enjoy by" date printed on the eggs. My yield was 4 non starters, 2early quitters, 1 failed to hatch and 5 hatched out of a dozen.

Quote:
It was definitely disappointing. It was sadder than I thought it would be, knowing they were sooo close to having hatched before they died.

I don't remember what the date was, I think I had read the wrong 3 numbers when I'd been trying to figure out the date. I just set another 2 dozen(well, 3 less than 2 dozen as I didn't have enough room in the bator!) and am hoping for better results this time. These ones are only 8 days old when set this morning. They're due to hatch on the 3rd. I HAVE TO get something out of 2 dozen eggs. :) Hopefully I'll be overrun with chicks in a few weeks time! I've also set 18 EE eggs and 3 Tolbunt Polish. Hoping for the best!

Last edited:
Set 10 Trader Joe eggs in my Brinsea 20 Eco yesterday morning. They were 8 days old at that point. All the air cells looked good but this is my first ever hatch so I'm not gonna start counting until they hatch....
fl.gif

Quote: Yeah!!!! I didn;t realize you were so close to me. I am in Paradise....

Sorry that none of the TJ's eggs hatched for you. They go thru a lot getting to the stores...probabably much more than standard shipped eggs. Hopefully you will have better luck with the next batch. You did have a great hatch otherwise, which says you did what was within your control right. Hopefully the fresher egg date will make a difference.

Set 10 Trader Joe eggs in my Brinsea 20 Eco yesterday morning. They were 8 days old at that point. All the air cells looked good but this is my first ever hatch so I'm not gonna start counting until they hatch....
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom