Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Yes, they did!

IMG_2378.JPG

OK, I am in, maybe all by myself here? I went to TJ's last night and had them look in the back for fresher eggs, they brought out a dozen that were 5 days old according to Julian date. Of the 12 5 were cracked or broken, all on the bottoms so they did not show the damage when I opened the carton. 1 of the 7 left had a hairline crack and I set it anyways. Note to self next time get two dozen... So they are in the magic fly at 38 C with water on the bottom of pan. The magic fly does not show the humidity I am just going to keep the water topped off. Set it and (try) to forget it. I will candle at about 4 days. Thats all for now.

Gary
Hey just checking in, how did it go with your eggs? When I tell people I hatched a chick from a grocery store egg they flip out and think that’s the most insane thing ever! It’s pretty funny to see their reactions.😂

Hey just checking in, how did it go with your eggs? When I tell people I hatched a chick from a grocery store egg they flip out and think that’s the most insane thing ever! It’s pretty funny to see their reactions.😂

I had just one hatch, it was pretty rough the flock did not accept her at all. I left for a few days and she was gone without a trace. I think they ate her. Never again, too risky to hatch just one.

So I’m thinking of hatching Trader Joe’s eggs. I need to know, when is the right time to get the eggs? What eggs does Trader Joe’s offer? Is there other stores you can get free-range eggs from to hatch? I’d love to know more about this!

So I’m thinking of hatching Trader Joe’s eggs. I need to know, when is the right time to get the eggs? What eggs does Trader Joe’s offer? Is there other stores you can get free-range eggs from to hatch? I’d love to know more about this!
You have to get the “Fertile Eggs”. Free range won’t do it because there aren’t any roosters in those flocks. You need to familiarize yourself with the Julian Dating System which will tell you not the expiration date but the date that the eggs were packaged. You need to make sure that the eggs were packaged (and therefore refrigerated) just a day or two...maybe three. Candle the eggs to see if the air cells are fixed and if not treat them like shipped eggs. Keep in mind that not all Trader Joe’s sell Fertile Eggs.

You have to get the “Fertile Eggs”. Free range won’t do it because there aren’t any roosters in those flocks. You need to familiarize yourself with the Julian Dating System which will tell you not the expiration date but the date that the eggs were packaged. You need to make sure that the eggs were packaged (and therefore refrigerated) just a day or two...maybe three. Candle the eggs to see if the air cells are fixed and if not treat them like shipped eggs. Keep in mind that not all Trader Joe’s sell Fertile Eggs.
Okay thank you.

Back
Top Bottom