Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

Pics
Quote:
On the end of the carton is a date: "Use by May 24, 2011." Located nearby this date is a three-digit number. This is the packing date in numeric code. So 001 is January 1, 002 is January 2, 365 is December 31st. Pick the highest number you can find.

A marketing technique is to put the older eggs in front of the case to sell them faster. Dig behind the ones displayed and you may get a whole week newer!

Of course, you could also phone the TJ's and try to find out when their egg shipments come in and shop accordingly.

Good luck!

I need some help. As cited on page 13-14 by sequoiacyclist, I bought some eggs from Rock Island Farms from Petaluma, CA. I got 7 out of 12 to hatch. Anyway, they are all yellow and don't look like a sex-link at all. Aren't sex link supposed to be color varigated? What did we decide these chicks were? They are White Rock roo roos over Productions Reds. However, as seen on the pics on page 13 they are all yellow! Aren't they supposed to be Golden Comets/Red Stars? But they are all the same color. Help pleaz! Thanks My yellow chicks thanks you!
wink.png

Sex-links (i.e., those you can delineate by color at birth) are created by crossing a RED roo onto a BARRED (or Silver) hen. So your standard sex-links *usually* are a RIR or New Hampshire roo on a Barred Rock or Delaware or Silver-laced Wyandotte or light Sussex or Columbian Rock hen. A white rock roo on red hens will produce white chicks.....

What you have is a cross. I have no idea what their final color will be when they feather out, but they'll be good dual-purpose layers for you. Often times what fertile egg producers will do is put different colored roosters in with their flock of hens... This gives them an easy way to count how many roos, who's with who, etc. Sometimes these combinations can result in known hybrids, i.e., Austrawhites (Australorp roo over white hen).

Hope that helps your dilemma!

Last edited:
Thanks!

That really helps! My yellow chicks thank you!
wink.png
They are super cute! Sequoiacyclist PMed me back. She stated the same thing. So... I guess you could say I have what looks like fat white leg horns!
lol.png
They have the legs of a white leghorn but the body of a production red! Thank you!

For anyone that has hatched from Trader Joe's fertile eggs, I have a question for you:

Some chicks come out plain light yellow and some yellow with pale buff accents. I had not thought about it much until looking back at some of my photos of our different hatches. So far, the few we have had with buff, turn out to be girls and the plain yellow are boys. I don't have enough to compare for a decent scientific sampling, 4 girls:2 boys. Other chicks went to new homes as straight run less than a week old, so I don't know what they turned out to be.

Anyone else have similar results or is it a coincidence with the buff accents? I am thinking we are just lucky and it is a coincidence because I have read that white leghorns are not used in any sex-link crosses. Opinions or input?

Back
Top Bottom