Trader Joes & Other Grocery Store Egg Hatching Club - Are you a Member

They were marked fertile.

I have 24 TJ eggs in my new incubator, and so far none are developing. Grr! Someone else picked them up for me and they didn't pay attention to the Julian date, so I knew it was a long shot. I have an appointment in Chico tomorrow, if I have time afterwards I might swing by Trader Joe's and look for some fresher ones.
I am sorry to hear about that!

Tomorrow should be a good day because of delivery schedules. See if they have some in the back that have a better date on them.

Well someone earlier mentioned Stop & Shop since our Whole Foods and Trader Joes do not have 'fertile' eggs. When I looked we don't have a Stop & Shop grocery.. Not giving up on finding some 'fertile' grocery store eggs to try to hatch.

Well someone earlier mentioned Stop & Shop since our Whole Foods and Trader Joes do not have 'fertile' eggs. When I looked we don't have a Stop & Shop grocery.. Not giving up on finding some 'fertile' grocery store eggs to try to hatch.

If you have a nearby Giant Supermarket they do carry fertile eggs in the organic/natural section, not in with the regular eggs. I haven't tried hatching any yet but when I get done with a few other projects I'm hatching, I do want to try that.

I had a broody hen on some eggs, (my eggs and a neighbors) and went away for a few days, the hens smashed some and wrecked the rest with yolk. I pulled some eggs out of the fridge same kinds. they are in my incubator. 9 on day 4.

Last edited:

I had a broody hen on some eggs, (my eggs and a neighbors) and went away for a few days, the hens smashed some and wrecked the rest with yolk. I pulled some eggs out of the fridge same kinds. they are in my incubator. 9 on day 4.

I hope the incubator hatch goes well for you!

Hi GardeNerd,

I was so inspired by your post about Trader Joe eggs that I went out and tried it myself. I called ahead and asked the manager to take two cartons out of the refrigerator and put them aside. I brought them to work and placed them in my incubator at school. We are on Day 20 and we only have one chick that is ready to hatch in the next day or so. We have six 'quitters' and the rest were 'yolkers.' As of this morning, George, as it has come to be known as, is shaking around. The incubator has stopped turning and sometimes I think I can hear some chirping from the inside.

I ordered some eggs from Mypetchicken (our 2nd batch) and the eggs that we were able to see through (4), three of them had healthy veins. I'm excited for George to get here. I still can't believe it was a Trader Joe egg.

Thanks for your post!

I want to join the club! I have a few in the bator now and I'm on day 20, maybe after this hatch I will seek out fertile grocery store eggs. My husband and I were noticing the other day when I was cracking open some grocery stores from our local Giant Eagle grocery retailer that there is one white spot in each yolk of an egg. From what I've learned this is a sign of it being fertilized? Maybe I will try to hatch those eggs... does that get me in the club? I'm not sure if the Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near me sells fertile eggs but I will definitely have to check next time I go.

I want to join the club! I have a few in the bator now and I'm on day 20, maybe after this hatch I will seek out fertile grocery store eggs. My husband and I were noticing the other day when I was cracking open some grocery stores from our local Giant Eagle grocery retailer that there is one white spot in each yolk of an egg. From what I've learned this is a sign of it being fertilized? Maybe I will try to hatch those eggs... does that get me in the club? I'm not sure if the Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near me sells fertile eggs but I will definitely have to check next time I go.
All eggs will have a white dot--that is the ovum. Fertile eggs will have an upraised outer portion and will be bigger.

Like the eggs in the photo.

Back
Top Bottom