Tragedy related to nutrition?

Other health issues would surface long before brittle bones if it were nutritional related. I would explore other possible causes most likely injury by human or predator. Someone may have kicked it.

Predator possibly. Nobody kicked her though for my husband was home and they are in a fenced in backyard and no my husband would never kick any of the birds. He loves them as much as I do.

Interesting thread. I was buying Layena because of where I purchased my feed last. I think I got seduced by the colorful bag. Yesterday went to the old feed store and bought Southern States (SS). Have just compared the tag on this bag to the picture you posted. SS has slightly higher levels of everything except salt.
The first three ingredients are:
Grain products
Plant protein products
Processed grain by products

Interesting to compare --usually don't have the opportunity.

Chickens are not vegetarians, however it seems as though the major feeds contain only plant material. We use Countryside Organics which contains fish meal. Other organic feed can contain crab meat. We tried the latter, which was cheaper, but the chickens and I did not like the smell.

Quote:
I noticed this too. I have been feeding Countryside since day one, so I have no comparison to other feeds, but my chickens nor their droppings have an unpleasant odor to them. I've had other folks actually remark about it, to my surprise.

Where can a person buy fishmeal, and our feed store only carries Purina feed and Dumor i believe is Purina under a different name. so sorry for your loss.

i use purina (easiest to locate) but supplement with all sorts of table scraps (including meats) and yard clippings/weeds, as well as oyster shell for calcium. i agree they're not my favorite brand, for any type of pet food, but my chickens have always done pretty well with what i give them. that said, i HAVE had a hen randomly break a leg before. we have no idea what actually happened, but we figure she probably landed badly when jumping down from a roost. i don't think it was dietary though, i think it's just something that can happen. birds by nature have very thin bones. so it's very possible that your hen got scared and tried to escape quickly, and either just landed poorly or hit a hard surface. =/

sorry this happened to your hen though
sad.png

Quote:
If you are near Asheville, you can buy Countryside Organics, which has fish meal in it, at EagleDove Garden, Swannanoa River Road, between Lowes and Biltmore Village. Double G Ranch in Leicester also sells it. Here is the contact info for both

Eagledove Greenhouse and Garden Center
216 Swannanoa River Rd.
Asheville, NC 28805
828-281-7099
email: [email protected]
www.eagledovegreenhouse.net

Double G
828-683-6092
email: [email protected]
www.ashevilledoublegranch.com

Back
Top Bottom