Tragedy today....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 17, 2011.

  1. Three Cedars Silkies

    Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

    Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    ...that could have been much, much worse.

    We had a red brooder bulb catch on fire, fall and kill two chicks in the brooder. [​IMG] The entire plastic brooder box caught on fire but my daughter reacted quickly and grabbed the fire extinguisher, but it did not completely put out the fire. She and her grandmother pulled the semi-flaming brooder box out onto the back porch and finished putting it out there .

    While there was a small amount of damage on the wood floor under the brooder, it is a miracle that nothing else caught on fire.

    My daughters house was built in 1921 and is constructed of heart pine. Although we are heart broken for the 2 silkie chicks that died, we praise God that there was no more damage than there was. We also praise God that it happened on a day when all of us were there. Typically, my daughter is in classes at college and her grandmother might have been there alone. AND, even though I don't live there, I happened to be there today working in the silkie pens since it was a holiday.

    So we feel so very blessed even though we have grieved throughout the day. The cleanup took a very long time today.

    To be clear, the light was very secure...the bulb itself must have malfunctioned and spontaneously broke in the neck of the bulb. We keep the brooder box in the spare bedroom/office.

    I don't think we will be able to use the red brooder bulbs anymore...just too traumatic. I use the ceramic heat emitter when I first hatch at my house, so we are going to replace all the red brooder bulbs with the ceramic heat emitters.

    Be careful more minute and her house would have gone up in flames.
  2. 3goodeggs

    3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

    May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG] I am glad you are all safe. (I am sorry for the little chicks.)
  3. sourland

    sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

    May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thankfully the loss wasn't greater. Just another reminder that any time we are involved with heaters/lights/electricity there is the potential for fire.[​IMG]
  4. Dunkopf

    Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    The dome on those light seems to concentrate the heat at the bottom of the bulb and the glue fails. I've had a number of those bulbs break at the base and had to take the brass part out with long nose pliers. Good thing you caught it.
  5. NonnasBabies

    NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

    Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    So glad you all are safe!! [​IMG] Sorry about your chicks!! [​IMG]
  6. gritsar

    gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

    Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] Glad it wasn't worse.
  7. jen5680

    jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    So glad to hear that no one was hurt!!!! [​IMG]
  8. Bat Cave Silkies

    Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I'm sooo thankful that the 3 of you'll are fine and the house didn't receive much damage.
    Poor Robin [​IMG]
  9. justbugged

    justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

    Jan 27, 2009
    I am so happy that there was more damage, and I am so sorry about the chicks. [​IMG] I have been meaning to get a heat emitter bulb. This just might speed it up. Thank you for sharing the info.
  10. SimplySplendidSilkies

    SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I am so glad you guys are all safe! I hate that you did loose 2 baby chicks though. Thanks for sharing so we can all be reminded of the dangers and double check our own lamps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by