Tragedy today....

Did the bulb fall out of the socket?

What are ceramic heat emitters and are they safer than the red heat bulbs? I couldn't use one in my office cuz it was just to hot. I do have two in the coop but the clamps are screwed or nailed to the studs. I also have two in the back room off my garage and they to have the clamps secured to the studs. Both these places are unheated. None of them are where the chickens can hit them.

Is there a record of fires caused by these things? Where would one go to find out?

I'm sorry for the loss of chicks but glad everyone is ok.

Rancher

Last edited:
hugs.gif

My duck coop got close to burning cause the geese decided to destore the heat lamp
hmm.png

The ceramic heat emitters (picture below) come in different wattages so the output of heat varies. I use a 150 watt one hanging approximately 1 1/2 feet over my brooder and it give PLENTY of heat. In fact, I usually situate the brooder box so the heat emitter is over one end of end. That way the chicks can move to the cooler end if they get too warm. I keep them in my home office which is running 64-68 degrees. I think when I buy new ones, I'll buy 100 watts.

The other thing I like is that there is not a bright bulb in the chicks eyes all the time. I do leave a lamp on in the room so they can still see to eat and drink which I think is important for the first couple of weeks.

The bulb apparently came apart where the glass bulb is glued to the metal piece that screws into the lamp. This lamp didn't fall...it was very secure. It was just the bulb that came apart and began flaming up.

9079_ceramic_heat_emitter.jpg

WHew... I have had a tragic housefire.... entirely overrated experience that is best avoided. Can you send me info on this ceramic thingy... I would like to see one and possibly buy one.

Thank you to everyone...weirdly, all I could think of when I was cleaning up was getting on BYC and posting about what happened. My daughter said, "Mom, be sure to post on BYC and warn everybody to be careful with the red bulbs."

Thank God you are all OK and the house is still standing.
I'm very sorry about the baby chicks, though.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom