Trailer Coop Build (Pic heavy)

Pics
Others with more experience (@aart) will chime in. My experience was similar but allowing the chicks to mix with hidey holes, obstacles, etc will soon dissuade the older hens from chasing shadows.
Those chicks may be too big for 'tiny doors'.....but it's something more to build :D
Complicating matters is that there's no run(?), chicks will need to learn to get back into coop.
This is how I do it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Others with more experience (@aart) will chime in. My experience was similar but allowing the chicks to mix with hidey holes, obstacles, etc will soon dissuade the older hens from chasing shadows.

Ok thanks! Yesterday one of the small roos decided to stand up to her, with the fence between them. Well the roo was all big and proud, standing tall, neck feathers splayed. Then meanie stuck her head through and grabbed the roo. Thought I was going to have to separate them cause meanie didn't let go! Roo was unhurt and didn't even seem to care, was just spooked a bit lol.

Those chicks may be too big for 'tiny doors'.....but it's something more to build :D

Where's the stick poking smiley? LoL!! That really makes me laugh this morning, thank you!

Complicating matters is that there's no run(?), chicks will need to learn to get back into coop

Not pictured, I open the pop door and let the chicks out once a day. They have all, or almost all, learned the outside ramp routine. They are still imprinting it though, when they get spooked only some of them automatically go formthe pop door. They have a fenced in area to get outside which is a small part of the larger run where the big girls are.

I can probably create doors in the outside fencing.

Not pictured, I open the pop door and let the chicks out once a day. They have all, or almost all, learned the outside ramp routine. They are still imprinting it though, when they get spooked only some of them automatically go formthe pop door. They have a fenced in area to get outside which is a small part of the larger run where the big girls are.
Sounds good...pics please?

I can probably create doors in the outside fencing.
That might be easier than inside the coop....tho they might end up on the 'wrong side of the fence' inside the coop.

Chicken Juggling!

Sounds good...pics please?

That might be easier than inside the coop....tho they might end up on the 'wrong side of the fence' inside the coop.

Chicken Juggling!

I thought it would be easy to "part" the lower piece of the panels to create small doors but it does not appear to be the case. I will need to rethink this a bit and should be easy to solve. The faster I can integrate the better.

How did you keep food separate once you take the wall down?

Best pic I have at the moment, the black "fence" is portable and folds up (I think it's called a portable dog exercise pen). I like it because heads can stick through but not get stuck, so they can peck at each other (as one of the small roosters learned!).

bjuqPot.jpg

Just realized you can also see the new and improved ramps! :) ~10" wide now instead of 5 1/2". Much better!!

You can also see why I need to complete the bucket feeders and waterers because there is a lot of food (aka money!!) on the ground in the background.

Last edited:
How did you keep food separate once you take the wall down?
I don't. I feed Purina Flock Raiser from hatch to harvest.
I do set up a creep feeder so the chicks can eat and drink in peace.
Also have multiple other feeders and waterers spread around.

Bottom wires are squeezed together to make over other 2" opening a bit bigger.
1588086105646.png

Patience pays off.

A back neighbour was up for the first time this year and I stopped over to say hello. Rob told me that he and daughter had stopped by to say hello and check out the flock earlier but I was not around. This led into a conversation about the ladies and how they were doing, in my usual verbose manner I told the whole story including my plan for flock #2.

I have tracked down a breeder of pure White Chanteclers near Granby Quebec (three hours from me and just south of Montreal), have spoken with him several times and will do a day trip this week to pick up 36 fertilized eggs. Will incubate with hopes of ending up with a single cockerel and about a dozen pullets. I want Chanteclers for several reasons: they were originally bred in Oka Quebec which is about 2 hours from me; they are well suited to our Canadian climate; and I like the idea of contributing to the preservation of a heritage breed. Have also read that they are a well behaved bird as well as being dual purpose. I know they do not lay as well as my ISAs but they have a much longer life expectancy so some balance in that.

To the point of my post to this thread.

In my discussion with Rob I also mentioned that I was going to build a second smaller Woods coop (8' by 12') to house them and was very interested in making it portable. He asked what I meant by that, I said mounted on a trailer so it could be moved around when/if needed. I said I had been on the prowl for an old utility trailer or an axle from a house trailer to put it on. He then said "Have you looked at the trailer leaning against the tree outside?". I reply "No, did not even notice it." He says "It has been there at least five years and will be there another five years at least. You are welcome to it if you want.".

We go outside and have a look. It is perfect as a platform for the build:
  1. 7' by 10' steel frame with another 5 feet of "V" and tow hitch on the front
  2. Torsion hubs with wheels and good tires below the frame so no intrusions into the coop area
  3. Solid, well built
  4. Drop down stablizing legs on all four corners
  5. AND FREE!!!!
I have already bought all the 1" by 6" pine boards and 2" by 1/2" battens,
need only 2" by 3" framing materials and tin for the roof. Will replicate my 10' by 16' Woods KD style and form only smaller; will retain height to make it a walk-in and will duplicate interior layout including a removable brooder wall (per @aart design) that will go under the drop board.

Stay tuned for my next build thread to be titled "Authentic 8' by 12' PORTABLE Woods KD Coop". Now I just have to find the time to get 'er done!

IMG_20200524_190752.jpg
IMG_20200524_190807.jpg
IMG_20200524_190827.jpg
IMG_20200524_190851.jpg
IMG_20200524_190904.jpg
IMG_20200524_190918.jpg

IMG_20200524_190942.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom