1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trained Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PioneerPrincess, Nov 7, 2009.

1. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I would like to know if anyone has trained their chickens to do any tricks such as coming when you call or jumping onto a perch. Can you teach chickens any other tricks?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I don't know if I'd call it a trick or not, but mine all come when they see me, but not when they see my DH. They also know my car vs. other peoples. I have one chicken that will hop up on my lap and sit for a treat.

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Haven't tried it, but some people say that clicker training works with chickens.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Does this count? When ever I bring them treats or I need to put them back in their run after roaming I whistle kind of loud and they start running to me.

5. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Pretty uneventful here, but I've trained them to free range within specific boundaries. It's almost like having an invisible fence.

6. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Reptile Gardens in South Dakota have trained chickens. All the domestic animals are in a skit they do on an open air platform. One does tic tac toe. You can NEVER beat her. One gives you a post card. They used to have one that played baseball. Plus a pekin duck that played a piano. All done in a form of clicker traning.

7. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Thank you for your replies. Preservation Acres, our chickens are somewhat trained like that too! Of course they purposefully go over them when they think we aren't looking. Yes, I would consider those all to be tricks. Thanks again!![​IMG]

8. Criskin

Criskin Lost somewhere in a book

I've noticed that my flocks IQ goes up when I have food or snacks. Either they are trained or I am...still not sure which.

9. Crittercrzy

Crittercrzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    NE Tennessee
    Another member on here had a young Polish Roo for sale. so I went to his house last saturday to get him. He had a mixed rooster that would hop up on his arm and crow on command..it was hilarious!!! He tapped his arm and he hopped up, then told him to crow..I loved it!!

10. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I have a little half game/half you name it roo(Lil' Eddie) that I let out of his coop everyday to free range with all my whatchmacallits that are impossible to keep penned so I just let them roam at free will all day long. Well, in the evening I let my layers out to range for about two to three hours(depending on the time of year), anyway I have to lock Lil' Eddie up every evening because he jumps on my big roos and will also attack my layers if they don't honor his gestures or commands. So I've trained him to go to his pen on command and pen up when tell him "get in that pen, boy" and he does this everytime. When I lived at another place in south La. my neighbor would be sitting on his back poarch in the evening after work indulging in some adult beverages, and when I'd come out and give Eddie the command to pen up, the neighbor would sit over on his poarch and just shake his head side to side and smile like in almost disbelief if he hadn't seen it for himself. The first time he saw this I told him that Eddie does it because he doesn't like the option of being caught with a fishing dip net. So I guess you could call that trained, huh.

catdaddy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by