traing a border collie to herd?

Please, please, please... listen to these people( Brody's Broodello, Kelly G, scrambledmess) They can be so destructive, especially the working dogs.

i do believe that bc very active. and hard to control.
th.gif
my parents in law have had them, still do. they recently brought their dog over to our house and we introduced our sheltie
love.gif
(shetland sheepdog) their dog went crazy and attacked my dog!
somad.gif
i was not happy. i also noticed that their dog, was staring with big eyes:eek: at my chickens (who were locked in their run) looking at them, like the dog wanted to taste them.
this is my own opinion thats all.
wink.png
Bc are very full of energy. take time and do research thats all. good luck to you. wish you the best of luck.
smile.png

andrea-

We had a Sheltie/Collie mix out on our twenty acres in North Dakota. She was my favorite dog, followed me around when I went 'exploring' (like in with the neighbors yearling bulls...). Drove my dad NUTS. She barked CONSTANTLY and loved to try and 'herd' cars. I was in the first grade at the time, utterly naive to the training of a dog so I wasn't any help.

Loved her to death though. They ARE a lot of work, my neighbor has two...Collies I think they are. They have to be kept kenneled because they constantly tried to herd the neighbors prized gelding. Didn't listen to any commands either. They where given to her by a friend, she works all the time so no time for the two girls
hmm.png

If you find that a border collie is too active then you may consider other herding type dogs. We have an ACD (Austrailian Cattle Dog) which will herd anything that moves. She is very docile, non destructive and a great dog. She is our most loyal dog and sticks close to me.

By the way.... The only dog that our 5' no-climb horse fencing could not hold was a border collie. Very smart and she could easily find weak spots in large enclosures. She went to a home that had 7 kids and a large fence yard (they told us that she would jump/climb the fence whenever she wanted).

Back
Top Bottom